Friend used hair dryer to clean pc- Good or Bad?

buel 22:17 01 May 2009

Hi, today my friend used a hair dryer(cold) to blow dust from (or 'in') the back of his desktop pc where the fan is, i mentioned that i believed the hair dryer would simply blow the dust back into the pc whereas a vacuum would at least 'suck' it away, have i got a point?

onthelimit1 13:45 30 Oct 2011

Quite!

Diemmess 16:31 30 Oct 2011

Just one more who does as rdave13 describes-

My preference if the whole thing is grubby, is to use a soft artist's brush to sweep the back and front of each blade of any fans you can access.

Trade off in temporarily taking out the fan, is a real improvement in ventilation and noise reduction versus a risk of damage to nearby components or making something loose. Its up to you!

The motherboard and general dust can come last, with little gain except that it all looks better

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 30 Oct 2011

peregrinator's post shows why PCA new policy of locking threads after 90days of no posts is a good idea.

Diemmess 18:58 30 Oct 2011

I bow my head ...... omitting to read the whole thing through.

The first page was a reunion of remembered names and the topic is a good one which appears many times over the years.

Locking the thread is a good idea for ending nonsensical posts but I' not so sure about perennial questions as each new member encounters something which he/she finds truly helpful.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 30 Oct 2011

The information is still there

Locking the thread prevents it being taken over by spammers or idiots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?