Friend used hair dryer to clean pc- Good or Bad?

buel 22:17 01 May 2009

Hi, today my friend used a hair dryer(cold) to blow dust from (or 'in') the back of his desktop pc where the fan is, i mentioned that i believed the hair dryer would simply blow the dust back into the pc whereas a vacuum would at least 'suck' it away, have i got a point?

lotvic 22:37 01 May 2009

yes (and no).
Yes the vac would be better for sucking it away.
If hairdryer on cold (or can of compressed air is used) Your friend should be taking the side off the pc and blowing the dust OUT

Or taking the side off the pc and using a paintbrush to disturb the dust and a vac to suck it up. (Don't touch any components with the vac nozzle end)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 01 May 2009

blowing in through the fan is a waste of time

however nothing wrong with taking off the side cover and using a hair dryer and small brush to bow out all the dust.

Quiet Life 22:51 01 May 2009

Blowing or sucking through the fan will achieve little. Dust sticks pretty hard to fans and would need to be brushed or wiped off. With the side off blowing is safer and more effective than sucking as you do not have to get so near to the components. Dust may not affect electricity but causes the early demise of components through overheating and getting rid of any dust build up is worthwhile,

OTT_Buzzard 22:52 01 May 2009

yep, my pc gets a regular clean out with the Vax. Must get some more dust flters.....

woodchip 00:02 02 May 2009

What makes dust stick the most? Time to think again about smoking, wort thing out for a computer

woodchip 00:11 02 May 2009

Worst not wort, need a new keyboard or something

woodchip 11:52 02 May 2009

Laptop can be a problem with Dust, But you need to use it on Hard Surfaces, so it does not pick int up etc. I would have tried a Can off Air with a Plastic tube so you can just put it inside the grill to blast away as Heat Exchanger normally is just behind it this becomes over time like a felt with dust covering the fins

Strawballs 13:00 02 May 2009

Dust can't affect electricity but it can cause static and clog the heatsink so it is a problem forceing it into the computer.

OTT_Buzzard 13:23 02 May 2009

it can also be slightly capacitive and conductive, depending on exactly what constitutes the dust.

lotvic 13:36 30 Oct 2011

peregrinator, so you joined the forum and for your first (and only post) dragged up a 2 year old thread just to tell us that you in your good wisdom chose yourself a 'fat ugly wife' who only cleans her teeth when you tell her to.... Hmmm let me think what that tells me about you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi A3 Release Date, Price & Specification Rumours

How to calibrate your monitor

Best free iPhone games 2019

Amazon Prime Day 2019