Friend needs help

mohawk32 18:31 31 Dec 2008

Hi. I connected my creative elite pro sound card (£250) to an Onkyo txsr876 home cinema amp (£800). I have good speakers attached.
The end result was it sounded poor, nowhere near as good as listening to dvd or cd audio. I Have tried disabling the onboard audio chip in bios, using analogue, digital and coaxial ouputs into the Onkyo, but no difference.

What i wanted to know are there any amps specially designed for pc audio. I am sure there must be some difference between dvd and pc audio, perhaps pc soundcards are more compatiable with some amps more than others.
Finally is it better to use the onboard ac97 as there may be less processing involved, therfore might give a more pure sound.

Many thanks in advance. John.

octal 18:44 31 Dec 2008

It sounds like a mismatch somewhere, there should be no problem at all connecting it to the amplifier.

A few more details of how you are connecting it from the sound card to the amplifier. What inputs do you have on the amplifier do you have?

octal 18:45 31 Dec 2008

Sorry about the strange English, but I think you know what I mean.

mohawk32 21:53 31 Dec 2008

Hi Octal. Thanks for the response.

I am using a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to 2 phono plugs, to connect from the soundcard to the amp.

Also have tried a coaxial digital cable which does sound a little better but not really the compelling surround effect i would have expected from top end components.

Thanks

Technotiger 21:58 31 Dec 2008

Have you not got a Line-in socket on the Amp, to enable you to use similar lead but with 3.5mm jacks on each end. Line-out from Sound card to Line-in on Amp.

Technotiger 22:09 31 Dec 2008

I have just had a look at the connections (courtesy of Google) - I assume you are using the Line-in Phono sockets shown.

click here

octal 00:00 01 Jan 2009

For a start you won't get true surround effect with just two analogue channels. When you say it doesn't sound as good, what is it lacking in? Bass and treble, or low volume? These conditions can indicate that there is a mismatch like I said earlier, just a thought, you are putting the 3.5mm jack in the Line output on the soundcard and not the speaker as that will definitely give a mismatch.

ambra4 00:28 01 Jan 2009

“Also have tried a coaxial digital cable which does sound a little better but not really the compelling surround effect I would have expected from top end components”

The Digital I/O connector on the sound card goes to the Audio Line In on the Amplifier for

“Listening to Digital Music” via your Onkyo TXSR 876 Home Cinema Amplifier in Stereo or

the full surround sound if the Onkyo TXSR 876 come with that option the same apply to the

Coaxial SPDIF Out on the front panel of the control box

To get the full surround sound effect you have to connect a separate 5.1 6.1 or 7.1 speakers

system to the Line Out 1 2 3 connectors on the Sound Card plus you can connect the Digital I/O

connector to the Onkyo TXSR 876 to give you a bigger sound

Download these user guides would give you a better idea on how to set up the Creative elite pro

sound card for the full surround sound effect

click here

How to set up and connect the Speakers for a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, speaker system

The connectors and associated components shown here may be different from that of your speaker system.

Positioning your speakers

Good speaker placement can enhance your listening experience, while careless placement can make good audio systems sound bad.

Below are our recommendations for 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 channel speakers.

For detailed speaker placement tips, refer to the User's Guide of your speaker system.

click here

On the right hand side of page “The perfect Companions Speakers” that creative recommend

click here

VOT Productions 21:03 01 Jan 2009

Try using Good Headphones and see if the speakers aren't good.
Buy new speakers with 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?