Friend has slow Lappy,what can i do to help him?

buel 22:59 14 Nov 2009

Hi,
my friend has a Sony Vaio Vista laptop (120gb hard drive, 1gb Ram and an Intel core2 cpu T5300 @1.73ghz processor) and has been complaining that it has been freezing up and is generally slow.

I used Ccleaner which found 56 registry issues which i chose the option of fixing, Malwarebytes found over 100 infected files which i erased, SuperAntiSpyware found no infections but when i chose the 'Check disk' option and restarted the laptop it took over an hour and i seen lots of messages similar to his one: 'Windows replaced bad clusters in file 17783' or 'Windows replaced bad clusters in file music/itunes/itunes2/compil-1/Godski' and it eventually started back to Vista, i want to know 2 things if i may?

1, how serious were these messages that i saw and can Windows actually repair them?
2, am i right in thinking that the clock sidebat takes up quite a bit of processor usage in Vista? If so, please can anyone recommend that i should disable it and any other things i can disable to help my friend?
Ps- i am going to recommend he buys some more Ram also.
Thank you in advance and i look forward to any help anyone can give me!

User-1229748 23:02 14 Nov 2009

hello buel,i can answer the sidebar question with a yes,it does take alot of resources

ArrGee 23:06 14 Nov 2009

Have you tried making any alterations in msconfig as yet?

User-1229748 23:12 14 Nov 2009

also your friend can disable aero to make it a bit more responsive

buel 23:23 14 Nov 2009

Hi, thanks for that Smackheadz and ArrGee, ok i shall get rid of it, is that the 'Aero interface'? and if so, how do i disable it please? An in answer to the msconfig, no i haven't yet but im actually looking forward to it (if that doesn't sound too weird? Ha ha) Any other Tips?

User-1229748 23:30 14 Nov 2009

disable aero in vistaclick here

ArrGee 23:34 14 Nov 2009

Also run Advanced System Care and see what pops-up : click here

User-1229748 23:53 14 Nov 2009

in vista you could also go start-right click computer-properties-advanced sysytem settings-performance settings-and click on adjust for best performance.

woodchip 00:03 15 Nov 2009

One of the First things I do is right click my Computer\Properties\Advanced\Custom and turn off all the bells and whistles. all the fancy scrolling and fade in out rubbish, make it lean and fast if you want a fast computer not things that have no meaning to what you are doing, or want to do

woodchip 00:04 15 Nov 2009

Sorry thats in the performance button in Advanced

buel 08:08 15 Nov 2009

What BRILLIANT advice i have received!! Thank you so much!!
Ps- how bad/serious were the messages i received when i did the disk check?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?