Friend allowed scammers on laptop - help!

bob dob 15:23 31 May 2017

Hi all. A good friend told me yesterday that he's been trying to get BT out to fix his router. Unfortunately he was phoned on the weekend by some scammers who claimed they were from BT and he allowed them remote access to his laptop and they downloaded some software. At the point that they asked him to log on to his internet banking he hung up and uninstalled the software.

I urged him to update and run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as well as his Avast antivirus.

He's told me that he ran the MalwareBytes scan and it didn't find anything but it then asked him to update it. He did, then it asked him to reboot. He did and upon restart it is asked him for the admin password, he put it in but now can't get it to safe mode or to progress in to windows at all.

Any ideas, please?

bob dob 20:44 01 Jul 2017

Hey there. Thank you for that link. However, I used the default key and it seems to work fine....and now I've found the 'real' key under the battery. Is it worth changing it back to this or should I wait for any issues?

bob dob 21:01 01 Jul 2017

I'm not sure he has one? Thank you for the advice. It's now installed, I've installed Superantispyware, malwarebytes, Defraggler,CCleaner and Avast and run them all (no nasties). Anything else I can do for him before I hand it back?

bob dob 21:15 01 Jul 2017

Brilliant!! Thank you. Re SAS v Malwarebytes, I thought one was for spyware and one for malware?

bob dob 23:51 02 Jul 2017

Great. And uninstall the other two I mentioned?

bob dob 20:55 03 Jul 2017

Great. And uninstall the other two I mentioned?

bob dob 19:35 04 Jul 2017

Thank you. Do I turn on Windows Defender Antivirus as well as the Avast that is currently installed?

bob dob 20:14 04 Jul 2017

Wow you're good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)