Friend allowed scammers on laptop - help!

bob dob 15:23 31 May 2017

Hi all. A good friend told me yesterday that he's been trying to get BT out to fix his router. Unfortunately he was phoned on the weekend by some scammers who claimed they were from BT and he allowed them remote access to his laptop and they downloaded some software. At the point that they asked him to log on to his internet banking he hung up and uninstalled the software.

I urged him to update and run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as well as his Avast antivirus.

He's told me that he ran the MalwareBytes scan and it didn't find anything but it then asked him to update it. He did, then it asked him to reboot. He did and upon restart it is asked him for the admin password, he put it in but now can't get it to safe mode or to progress in to windows at all.

Any ideas, please?

lotvic 16:08 04 Jun 2017

There is no sticker on the laptop

Have a look underneath the battery (take battery out)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 04 Jun 2017

Make and model?

Its almost certainly 64bit

bob dob 16:25 04 Jun 2017

Nothing under there but, if it helps, it's a HP and this info is on the rear of the laptop: Serial number cnd6212088 Product F0F62EA#ABU

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 04 Jun 2017

Then its probably one of these click here and definitely is 64bit

bob dob 22:00 04 Jun 2017

Hi all. Update - I burnt and ran the DVD and tried the 'diagnose' option but this didn't help. I'm now at the stage of resetting (but keeping the personal files) but I get the blue screen and the text of: Reset this PC You need to sign in as an administrator to continue but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC

There is an option of clicking 'Forgotten your password or can't see your account'

Should I?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 05 Jun 2017

CAn you get to command prompt?

bob dob 18:25 05 Jun 2017

Sorry for the naivety but not sure how to?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 05 Jun 2017

If you have booted from the windows 10 iso on the usb

read click here from the part that says Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 10 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

bob dob 19:31 05 Jun 2017

Thank you, I've booted from the CD. I'll get on this tonight....

Still got it then, Fruit Bat...

bob dob 13:30 18 Jun 2017

Hi all, So sorry for the delay...but I'm keen to do this today, if anyone can help? I'm not having any luck with following the advice but I see this on the laptop, there shouldn't be more than one Windows installations, right? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)