Problem has been happening for some months, seems to be worse when on the internet, seldom happens when game playing.
The computer just freezes with no error messages and needs a hard reboot to get going again. When it starts again the computer boots normally without going through scandisk. Occurs about every couple of hours although can happen 2 or 3 times in a single hour.
PC is a 1200mhz Athlon, Jetway 663AS board, 512Mb RAM in 2 sticks, Gainward Geoforce 440mx Graphics running fully updated Xp Home.
I suspected this is was most likely a hardware problem rather than software so tried the following.
- I tried running with just one stick of memory, froze with both!
- Took out all peripherals / excess internal cards except for Hard drives and Cd's , froze again!
- Clean install of XP Home with no other software, yep froze again.
- Stuck in my old Videologic Vivid XS Graphics card, you guessed it, still freezing.
- Just got broadband so disconnected old 56k modem, yawn still freezing!
- Swapped my 1200 processor for a spare 900 I have to no avail, still freezing!
_ Bought new case with 400w PSU (old one was scabby anyway), freezing still!
The way I see it the only common denominator is the motherboard cos practically everything else has been swapped without success.
Is there anything I have missed or something else I should be trying before going to the expense of a new motherboard (if indeed I can still get a motherboard for my old processor and RAM).
I dont feel I want to go to the expense of a motherboard bundle type upgrade because 1/ The PC is fast enough for my current needs and 2/ small children and some woman who inhabit my house appear to have first call on my cash!
My sanity is wearing thin so any advice would be appreciated.