Freeze during gameplay

veronicaelectronica 23:35 04 Jun 2003

whenever i play a game that has a high graphics content my computer freezes. i have tried reducing the resolution, changing the options and prefs, even reinstalling the graphics card, and nothing makes it any better, please help!

system: athlon 2100, 256 ram, geforcemx 440

MichelleC 11:10 05 Jun 2003

Try turning off all non-vital b/g progs.

The Spires 11:16 05 Jun 2003

You don't have an awful lot of Ram, if you are running XP 256 is the bare minimum.

handful 12:46 05 Jun 2003

A/V software can cause this. I had similar problems with PcCillin so dumped it in favour of AVG. No probs now.

veronicaelectronica 22:37 05 Jun 2003

i run win98se on my computer, and ive tried turning off all non essential apps, ad still i hv the same probs, help!

Ironman556 22:55 05 Jun 2003

RAM's a little low even for 98 when you want to play high graphics games. Usually the minimum RAM needed for a game is 256 MB and Windows will usually eat 100 MB of that on boot. You can pick an extra 128 MB ram up from PC World for around £20 and an extra 256 MB for about £35. For the price it's well worth the money, you'll probably notice a difference in overall performance too.

Back to the graphics card: I know you've said about changing the options, but have you tried them both in the game and in the general card settings in Windows. Do you know what the rating of your power supply is? That can cause problems if you've not got enough power.

Totally-braindead 23:35 05 Jun 2003

Every time I've had this sort of thing happen to me its been caused by either a DirectX problem which reinstalling usually solves or a graphics driver problem. Now I have a Ati Radeon 9000 and have found that many of the new games eg James Bond Nightfire, Medal of Honor and Black Hawk Down did not like the new Radeon driver ( I always kept my graphics driver up to date ). The solution was to reinstall a previous driver and hey presto it works fine. I also had the same problem with my previous card a GeForce 2 MX. So try installing an older driver or if you're not using the newest driver anyway try upgrading it to the latest GeForce driver and see how that goes, if it makes no difference you can always change it back.

Totally-braindead 23:36 05 Jun 2003

Every time I've had this sort of thing happen to me its been caused by either a DirectX problem which reinstalling usually solves or a graphics driver problem. Now I have a Ati Radeon 9000 and have found that many of the new games eg James Bond Nightfire, Medal of Honor and Black Hawk Down did not like the new Radeon driver ( I always kept my graphics driver up to date ). The solution was to reinstall a previous driver and hey presto it works fine. I also had the same problem with my previous card a GeForce 2 MX. So try installing an older driver or if you're not using the newest driver anyway try upgrading it to the latest GeForce driver and see how that goes, if it makes no difference you can always change it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?