Freeserve broadband connection problems

Taram 17:29 03 Feb 2004

I have just got Freeserve broadband, but I am having problems connecting the modem, I have installed the software from Cd, and then it promps me to insert the modem usb cable and reboot my computer, but when I do this, my computer will not come on, there is just a white curser flashing in the top left hand corner, but as soon as I remove the modem usb cable my computer comes on. I tried rebooting several times, and the last time I tried it, I got this message, TRY REBOOTING TO COMMAND PROMPT ONLY AND RUNNING SCANREG/FIX, OTHERWISE THERE MAY NOT BE ENOUGH FREE CONVENTIONAL MEMORY TO PROPERLY LOAD THE REGISTRY. I have been on the phone for an hour to Freeserve, but they have no idea what the problem is. I would be very grateful for any advice, I have Windows Me. Thank you, Taram

Diodorus Siculus 18:36 03 Feb 2004

Are you going through a USB hub or direct into the PC? If a hub, is it powered? It could be that there is not sufficient power.

The Nuclear Boy Scout 18:38 03 Feb 2004

This is just a guess, but could it be anything to do with having 'Plug and Play' enabled in the BIOS?

The Nuclear Boy Scout 18:40 03 Feb 2004

There are some tips here I found on Google - hopefully they might be able to help.

click here

Taram 18:44 03 Feb 2004

I have tried both, plugging the usb port directly in to the Pc and also in to my usb hub which is powered.

antoni34 18:53 03 Feb 2004

Same thing happened to a m8 of mine.

He had 2 get the modem changed and everything now works.

Apparently the modem was faulty !!

Taram 18:53 03 Feb 2004

Thank you for your help, I have printed the tips from Google, and I will give this a try. Thanks again, Taram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)