Freeing up hardisk space

whisked 13:55 29 Jul 2003

I have a 20gb drive on my laptop, and only about 5gb free now. What is the best way to free up space and get some faster surfing on the go? I take it i can copy some programs to CD etc but how do i completely erase unwanted files on the PC? Is the only way to download some software that does this and if so any recommendations?

Cheers

Jester2K II 14:00 29 Jul 2003

What version of Windows?

Can you right click the C Drive in Explorer, Properties and hit Disk Clean Up?

Program Supercleaner click here is good for scanning the disk, cleaning internet files and more...

BurrWalnut 14:07 29 Jul 2003

Here are a few things to gain a bit of space and speed :-

1. On a regular basis run Disk Cleanup and delete Temporary Internet Files.
2. In C:\Windows\Temp delete any *.tmp files that are more than a day old.
3. If you use AdAware remove all the (except the latest) *.bckp files from from C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Quarantine and all the (except the latest) *.txt from \Logs.
4. If you use Grisoft AVG remove all the (except the latest) *. Avg files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Log and all the (except the latest) *.bin files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Update
5. If you're not using Norton anti-virus remove Taskmon via Msconfig. Also remove the contents of C:\Windows\Applog where a count of the number of times a program is used is stored. It supposedly speeds up the defragmenter but I haven't noticed any difference.

BurrWalnut 14:16 29 Jul 2003

I've reposted, the original was a bit jumbled.

1. On a regular basis run Disk Cleanup and delete Temporary Internet Files.

2. In C:\Windows\Temp delete any *.tmp files that are more than a day old.

3. If you use AdAware remove all the (except the latest) *.bckp files from C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Quarantine and all the (except the latest) *.txt from \Logs.

4. If you use Grisoft AVG remove all the (except the latest) *. Avg files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Log and all the (except the latest) *.bin files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Update

5. If you're not using Norton anti-virus remove Taskmon via Msconfig. Also remove the contents of C:\Windows\Applog where a count of the number of times a program is used is stored. It supposedly speeds up the defragmenter but I haven't noticed any difference.

if you have a great deal of documents that you need to keep on the drive store them all in Zip files that way you will eliminate a great deal of file slack as the zip folder is stored as one file so there will only be slack in one cluster as opposed to many.

The Sack 15:48 29 Jul 2003

Files i delete on a regular basis are:

*.gid

*.tmp

*.bak

*.old

*.chk

Belatucadrus 16:03 29 Jul 2003

Drive cleaners :- Space Odyssey click here , G-Lock Temp Cleaner 2.0 click here ,

Internet trace cleanup :- CleanUp click here , System Wiper click here

File compression :- Zipcentral click here ZipGenius click here

DieSse 16:51 29 Jul 2003

You can reduce the size of your recycle bin - reducing it from 10% to 5% of disk space gives you a whole extra Gig of space.

Right click on it, and choose properties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?