Free download helpers- not adware

Channel 15:06 26 Feb 2005

I installed Download Accelerator plus from the free CD this month, and my Norton Antivirus has recognised it as adware, and suggests uninstalling it.Should I do this ? Or are there free download helpers available that are not adware ? (I realise there must be a price to "pay " for freeware, and am not sure what is acceptable.)I do not download games or music, haven't got Broadband, but I do download programs from time to time, and a program that can resume if the connection fails is vital.

Stuartli 15:19 26 Feb 2005

I've used FreshDownload for a number of years (click here) which is ad-free, efficient and will resume downloads either through a connection breakdown or a manual pause.

It's regularly updated, is compatible with Firefox as well as IE and Netscape and is a good all rounder.

However, if you have Firefox, its own download manager will also do Resumes and is equally as efficient as Freshdownload.

I created a FreshDownload folder and have a Desktop shortcut - the benefit is that once something has been installed it can be retained in the folder as a backup and, if required, also burned to a CD-R (multisession mode) or transferred to a memory card/card reader combination for easy portability.

stalion 15:21 26 Feb 2005

Fresh download seconded good software and free

Technotiger 15:34 26 Feb 2005

Hi, I have been using the free Download Accelerator Plus for some years. I am very happy with it, never given me any problems (unlike Norton) it also has Resume capability for if you get cut-off for any reason part way through a download.

Cheers.

Channel 16:48 26 Feb 2005

I did use Fresh Download for some time, but for some reason I began to get corrupted downloads, which stopped when I uninstalled it.This may have been a coincidence,though.Maybe I should stick with DAP and tell Norton to ignore it.

anchor 17:15 26 Feb 2005

I have used MetaProducts Download Express for years; no ads or spyware; excellent. Free for private users.

click here

Site is a bit slow today.

anchor 17:20 26 Feb 2005

Also available from Tucows:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?