Free Anti virus which one

john 52 21:01 11 Nov 2008

I must apologize because I know this question must get asked on a regular basis but after using AVG free for many years with the new Version 8 proving very problematic I am looking for an alternative virus checker !!

I would go for Avira virus checker as it seems to be well liked but it does put me off because it has no email scanner .
The other one is Avast which is also popular but seems not as good as Avira.
The problems with Avg I have had are the usual well documented ones like Avg not updating ,false positives, the scanner not ending ( it just keeps scanning for how long the computer is on)

As I have said at the beginning of the post I know this question arises frequently but peoples opinions change and would appreciate some advice from the more experienced members of the forum

skidzy 21:29 11 Nov 2008

Hi John
Looks like you have done your research,im afraid i do not have more to offer unless you consider a paid package such as kaspersky / Mcafee etc.

I use AVG8 on all my networked computers and have no problems and these range from xp to vista machines.

Some advice but i reckon you know this anyway click here

woodchip 21:31 11 Nov 2008

My comments, is I tried AVG but was glad to get it off my new Laptop and put Avast on. I have this on other three computers

Wak 21:53 11 Nov 2008

I go with Woodchip and have used Avast for the last 8 years with no problems and no viruses either. (fingers crossed!!)

provider 2 22:35 11 Nov 2008

Same here, Avast 4.8 installs, runs, updates and scans reliably and without fuss, and though there is the occasional false positive, I don`t think any of them is free from this particular problem.

It has a pretty thorough anti-spyware component also, and an integral e-mail scanner, neither of which you get with the Avira free version.

The published comparison tests are all very well, but I don`t think they are the final word when deciding which of them to choose. I have found Avast provides a pretty good level of protection and it`s by no means a foregone conclusion that paid-for ones are any better.

john 52 18:25 12 Nov 2008

Many thanks for your input I have uninstalled Avg and I have now downloaded Avast all seems to gone smoothly.

On AVG you could schedule to scan at a certain time but this does not seem possible with Avast free or have I missed it

MAJ 18:29 12 Nov 2008

I always found Avast slowed my computer down, so I stuck to AVG and have had no problems.

provider 2 22:39 12 Nov 2008

Scheduling a scan is not part of the free version options. You can compare the free and paid-for (professional) versions here:

click here

I don`t think this is a major problem, though, for Avast is running all the time anyway, and you can scan manually at any time it suits you best.

More important, I think, are the updates. Avast checks for an internet connection every 40 seconds and phones home for updates every 4 hours:

click here

provider 2 23:21 12 Nov 2008

More Avast FAQs: click here

Belatucadrus 23:39 12 Nov 2008

With a little application and Windows task scheduler

click here

provider 2 23:48 12 Nov 2008

Thanks for that. I didn`t know it was possible with the free version. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, though, when a couple of clicks will start it scanning anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?