Fornats

mondeo 13:49 08 Aug 2003

Have downloaded several files but find that my Dvd player does not recognise most files, should it recognise Mpeg if it recognises MP3, it seems a mine field .as to what kind of dvd player plays what kind of format anybody got any advice from personal experience, most manufacturers promise you everything, until you've bought it

regards

Jester2K II 14:04 08 Aug 2003

Have downloaded several files - are these legal??

but find that my Dvd player does not recognise most files - what do you mean? Have you burnt them to CD or DVD?? How?? What type of Disc?? This a DVD player or the DVD ROM in your PC??

should it recognise Mpeg if it recognises MP3 - Nope. Not necessarily.

most manufacturers promise you everything, until you've bought it - Rubbish!! Its usually in the spec or the hand book what is and isn't supported.

xania 14:11 08 Aug 2003

Most downloaded video files, including .avi, .mpg and .mpeg, can be played by Windows Media Player. I think that most versions of Windows automatically installs a copy. I'm not a particualr fan of BG but I do think this product is one of the best for the task - you can view in all sorts of sizes including full screen, and its free. If you don't have it, or want to upgrade click here

xania 14:12 08 Aug 2003

PS - I forgot to mention that you then set up your system to automatically open these files with this viewer then, when you double click the file....voila.

mondeo 15:06 08 Aug 2003

Many thanks for replying, the files in question are mainly Mpeg,Jpeg,and Photo disc, burnt to
CD-R & CDRW, which manufacturer states will play CR-R/CDRW/CD data etc on box, you dont get to see handbook until you purchase it,

Jester2K II 15:46 08 Aug 2003

"you dont get to see handbook until you purchase it" - but you do see a spec sheet or should ask for one before you buy it. Some places will even show you the handbook.

Just because a DVD drive states it will play CD-R / CD-RW and CDs does not mean it can interpet MPEG or JPEG files.

I think you'll find that means it'll play Music CDs copied onto CD-R or CD-RW.

To do what you want to do you'll need to burn the videos onto CD as a V-CD.

Two questions - 1) Does you DVD PLayer support V-CD (Video-CD) 2) What buring software do you use??

Someone else might know another way or be able to help you futher.

mondeo 12:58 09 Aug 2003

Sorry did'nt get back sooner, in reply to your questions yes it does support VCD , I was burning downloaded with NERO 6 . I am sure I am not the only one who has come across this problem, the amount of DVD players out there are to numerous to mention, if anyone has bought one which they found to be the most adatable i would be greatful

regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?