Formatting Hard Drive

marchbryant 20:36 05 Nov 2003

I have just formatted an antiquated lap top and cannot remember what to do now that it is in DOS mode. I have a windows cd and want to reload it. Can anybody please tell me what to do in order to do this. Many thanks.

mark e 20:39 05 Nov 2003

it would be an idea if you said which version of windows?

GuyR 21:06 05 Nov 2003

normally in DOS once disc formated put cd into drive, type in "setup" and it does the rest.
basic routine for 98se

other os may be different

marchbryant 21:07 05 Nov 2003

it was win98

marchbryant 21:18 05 Nov 2003

it won't acknowledge any drive other than 'c' or 'a', how do I get it to read the cd in the 'e' drive?

critic-al 21:26 05 Nov 2003

when you put in boot disk and rebooted,select boot with cd rom support when asked,then when you get to the prompt A:\> type "setup" with your instalation cd in your cd-ron-m

marchbryant 21:39 05 Nov 2003

thanks for your help so far. After I have rebooted I simply get the A:> prompt, with no menu to select boot with cd rom. What have i done wrong?

marchbryant 21:39 05 Nov 2003

thanks for your help so far. After I have rebooted I simply get the A:> prompt, with no menu to select boot with cd rom. What have i done wrong? Typing setup just gives me the invalid command scenario!

critic-al 21:44 05 Nov 2003
  beeuuem 22:22 05 Nov 2003

Boot from the floppy and select the option start with CD- Rom support. At A: command prompt type E: and press enter. This should take you to the CD drive. At the E: prompt type 'setup'. Windows should then start the setup procedure from the CD.

beeuuem 22:28 05 Nov 2003

Helps if you (me ) read the question before replying. You say that you can't get to the E:prompt. When you boot can you see the CD-ROM drivers being installed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?