Format windows 8 on Acer Aspire laptop

Eileanbeag 12:38 15 Aug 2016

I have recovery discs for Acer Inspire laptop bought from Acer. The boot disc just takes me back to desktop so Acer say I need to format the C drive and then boot from bootable CD and re-install system from their discs. Can you give me aa link on bhow to format the C drive. Thanks

robin_x 15:26 15 Aug 2016

The laptop is set to check C first then DVD/Optical Disc Drive then USB probably.

Formatting C is not the usual way of doing these things.

Get into UEFI/BIOS and set the DVD/ODD to be before the hard drive in terms of priority

click here

Eileanbeag 16:03 15 Aug 2016

I have changed boot order and tried to boot from Acer boot disc but this just takes me back to the desktop

Jollyjohn 16:25 15 Aug 2016

Are you getting a message "Press any key to boot from cd/dvd..."

If not then the laptop is not seeing the boot disc. This means either it is not a bootable disc OR the optical drive has failed.

I assume it is an Acer Aspire laptop, model number would be helpful to give more help. Here is another way to boot from the cd/dvd drive, tap F12 as laptop starts - if that doesn't work, try steps below. To enable the F12 Boot Menu:

Restart the computer.
Press the F2 key to enter computer's BIOS Setup during Power-On Self-Test, or POST, process while the Acer logo is being displayed.
Press the Right Arrow key to select Main.
Select F12 Boot Menu.
Press the Enter key.
Select Enabled.
Press the Enter key.

Off to work now, will see how you are getting on tomorrow.

Eileanbeag 18:15 15 Aug 2016

Aspire VS-431. The disc drive is working using it to look at files etc. butboot disc supplied by Acer is not working when the bot menu is changed to boot from CD/DVD drive.; it just comes back to desktop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 15 Aug 2016

disc drive is working using it to look at files yes but BIOS need to set DVD as first boot device and save and exit (F10)

robin_x 21:09 15 Aug 2016

Can you check in UEFI/BIOS and Disable secure boot (if there) and try booting DVD again?

Can you post a screenshot of the files on the DVD via postimage.org or similar hosting site?

Example

=-=-=-=-=

Is the laptop on W8 at the moment? Does it work?

Has it ever been on W8.1 or W10?

Any particular reason you wanted boot disks instead of performing a Reset from Built-in Recovery Partition?

=-=-=-=-=

Problem is that formatting C: hard drive to get disks to boot is a strange idea. It is possible but if the disks still don't boot, it's a problem.

Do you also have another working computer in the house?

robin_x 21:12 15 Aug 2016
  Eileanbeag 10:37 16 Aug 2016

Have changed secure boot and changed so that CD/DVD is first boot; don't know how to use screen shot but files are:Acer Boot, boot, EFI, GAIA, patch and Sources

Jollyjohn 11:16 16 Aug 2016

Does tapping F12 key as laptop starts give you a boot menu? If so is cd/dvd an option? If selected do you then get a message "Press any key to boot from cd/dvd..."

robin_x 11:55 16 Aug 2016

I just see that there's another option. UEFI must become CSM (BIOS/Legacy)

Watch first 4 mins here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

Alice Tye on blurring the line between fine art and illustration with Japan as her muse

Best free iPhone games 2019

Comparatif : iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10