Format and linux

gpx600 23:50 08 Oct 2008

Hi can anyone explain the process for formatting a hard drive that contains linux.Obviously the fdisk utility won't work as i have tried it will only format the 20gb allocated to windows.I am now left with 20gb holding PCLinux which i want to remove and re-install as the post screen hangs and i get grub error please wait and life is to short.Help appreciated thanks.

mgmcc 08:38 09 Oct 2008

If you run FDISK /MBR to restore the Master Boot Record, can you not then run FDISK to remove the "non-DOS" partition?

<<<< Obviously the fdisk utility won't work as i have tried it will only format the 20gb allocated to windows >>>>

FDISK is a *PARTITIONING* utility, it doesn't FORMAT. Are you trying to run the FORMAT.COM DOS file to format your existing Linux partition?

baldydave 10:10 09 Oct 2008

Hi,
Download ubcd from here,
click here
Burn to cd,then set pc to boot from cd.There are loads of tools to format hard drives including linux partitions/filesystems

scotty 12:32 09 Oct 2008

Linux install CDs can usually be run as "live" cds i.e. your run linux directly from the cd without installing on your harddrive. If you boot a "live" version of linux you can alter partition tables and format discs using Gparted. For your case, I would delete the linux partition and then extend another partition to use the extra space.

As mgmcc suggests, FDISK /MBR should remove GRUB.

woodchip 13:17 09 Oct 2008

All you need do is clear the Partition that was created by Linux

uesquebeathus 13:20 09 Oct 2008

i am sure if you go to the drive manufacturers web site they will have a utility for there own drives, and also a help forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?