Format hard drive or cleanup?

thewasp 13:40 02 Feb 2006

I am getting increasingly frustrated with error messages and crashing on my Athlon 2600+ running windows xp home, 120gb hd. No viruses have been found, and no recent drivers or software has been installed. i thought it might be Mcafee, but it still occurs when uninstalled. Would I be better starting from scratch by formatting the hd, or is there a good cleanup program to help detect the files that could be causing these crashes. Usually it is an unknown device driver that causes a crash, but they are all up to date and have never caused problems in the past. Any advice appreciated.

De Marcus™ 14:09 02 Feb 2006

Download ccleaner from click here and run it.

Have you checked the device manager (including the view > show hidden devices)?

Press Man 15:41 02 Feb 2006

You can check the Event viewer, a service on windows that logs every application, system errors etc. To reach this, go to your control panel> administrative tools > and open event viewer look under the "System" and it should show "errors" that may explain your problems with error messages and crashing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:43 02 Feb 2006

If ccleaner does not help and rather than mess about I would save all your important bits and reformat, it will be a quicker option. If you still get the same problems at least you can discount a knackered OS.

G

thewasp 16:16 02 Feb 2006

Have done a driver view, two drivers are listed as unknown - "dump_wmilib.sys" and "dump_atapi.sys", but I cannot delete them as the computer does not recognize them as being there. Could they be a problem?

rawprawn 16:27 02 Feb 2006

Dump_atapi.sys is a part of Microsoft Windows Operation system.
Dump_atapi.sys is the IDE port driver

Do a system file check Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (watch the space between sfc and /) you will need your XP Home CD.

thewasp 17:29 02 Feb 2006

When I type sfc /scannow, a box flashes up and disappears so fast I can't read it!!

Gongoozler 17:34 02 Feb 2006

Instability and crashes are often caused by badly written adware. Run AdAware to see if it can find anything click here

thewasp 17:38 02 Feb 2006

Forget that, got the scannow working

thewasp 19:02 02 Feb 2006

Found some Navexcel dataminers on regkeys, are these a threat, is it safe to remove them?

FUBAR HoII 19:14 02 Feb 2006

Hi if you are still having problems try a windows repair first as you wont lose any data.

Put your XP disc in drive at startup select R to start repair

select 1 c:
type chkdsk \r
hit enter & wait till its done reboot PC and see if that helps

HoII

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)