Format hard drive

loopyloo 13:05 11 Apr 2005

My computer came installed with Windows Xp and other software. Can I format my computer using a OEM windows xp disc. Usually when I need to redo my computer it sets it back to the condition it in and most of the software preinstalled on the computer I do not use and have to delete the programs. I would like to reformat and put on my own programs is this possible.

Indigo 1 13:24 11 Apr 2005

It sounds like the disc you have is not a full working copy of XP, if you format the HDD you will have to buy a full working copy of XP or some other O/S with registration code in order to do what you want.

Incidentally you said that "Usually when I need to redo my computer", does this mean that you re-intall everything regularly ? this kind of drastic action is not normally necessary with XP there are built-in safeguards and tools that make this unnecessary.

loopyloo 13:47 11 Apr 2005

I have just had to redo my computer because it crashed. It is a Medion PC and it came with a support CD with takes everything back to how it was first sold. As I said its a pain taking off all the programs I don't require.

Indigo 1 13:57 11 Apr 2005

Have you ever tried System Restore ?

When you say it 'Crashed' what exactly happened?

What programs don't you require and what method do you use to take hem off ?

plsndrs3 14:06 11 Apr 2005

Medion usually suply 2 disks - Application & Support. The disk marked Application is a full copy of Windows that came with the PC & the one labeled Support is the various programs that were loaded when the PC was shipped from them.

I have upgraded my HDD & have used this to load just XP.

HTH

Paul

plsndrs3 08:28 12 Apr 2005

How was this resolved so that others can use this posting to help them if they have a similar problem?

Paul

DieSse 08:44 12 Apr 2005

To answer your original question. Yes, If you have a WindowsXP OEM CD (A proper copy of WinXP, not a recovery disk) - then you can format and install just Windows.

WinXP OEM CDs are just the same as regular ones, unless they are customised by a system manufacturer. - in which case they will have the manufacturers name on the CD.

DieSse 08:45 12 Apr 2005

plsndrs3 - he/she did tell us - they used the recovery CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?