Format C: in Xp

andycampbell82 20:14 27 Jun 2003

I have XP installed on my PC and I want to format my hard disc....but when I run CMD and type format C: it won't let me. Is there anyway I can format the C: when running XP?

Please help, this is really starting to annoy me!

Many thanks

Steven135 20:26 27 Jun 2003

You will need to boot from your XP disk and take the option to install a new copy of XP deleting the partition on C and formatting it the directions are pretty clear if you take it carefully.

If your PC will not boot from the CD then go into the bios, by pressing delete of whatever key your PC uses.

beeuuem 20:39 27 Jun 2003

As Steven135 says it is pretty straightforward once you boot from the CD.
There is a tutorial click here which gives detailed info if you need it.

keith-236785 21:07 27 Jun 2003

BEFORE DOING THIS ARE YOU SURE, HAVE YOU GOT ALL THE DRIVERS YOU REQUIRE LATER, DO YOU KNOW WHAT HARDWARE IS IN YOUR COMPUTER, ITS TOO LATE WHEN YOU HAVE FORMATTED AND ITS ALL GONE.......

if you have a win98 startup disk (If not you can click here and download a windows98 startup disk), put the disk in floppy drive and restart your computer

when it finishes booting , you will get a menu, choose start without cdrom support, let it install the virtual drive, it will tell you what it is..... at the dos prompt type x: (where x is the virtual drive letter) this will change the prompt to x:> (again where x is the virtual drive letter)type

format c:

press enter

Ian-231569 22:21 27 Jun 2003

stick in a 98 revision 2 startup disk boot the comp and dont select anything, it will eventualy return you to the A: prompt in dos. type format C: Job done.

Despicable Desperado 01:16 28 Jun 2003

Format is a dos command and XP doesn't relate too kindly to dos. If your pc cannot boot from cd then download a win98 boot disk from click here (win98se oem). Boot from this and then run setup from your XP cd. Follow the directions and Bob's your uncle a fully functioning XP

andrew-203239 16:11 11 May 2004

Hi everyone

Followed your advice earlier today to remedy a problem so thought I'd just post my thanks - see "9 days & still no fix" posted yesterday if you want the gory details!

Cesar 10:02 12 May 2004

If you highlight your "C" Drive and right click on it one of the options is to format it have you tried that.

andrew-203239 20:09 19 May 2004

Hi. We're fixed now - pc runs like a dream. Let's hope it stays that way!

jamiedude 22:06 19 May 2004

for reference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?