After having experienced several problems with my main XP desktop PC it has been suggested that I might have a virus so the best option will be to use a format floppy to repair and wipe.
I've tried to find this on microsoft and google but there are so many options I am not sure what one to use.
Can someone help please by sending me a link so that I can download to a CD a format tool.
Hope this makes sense.
BTW I can't get internet on the PC at all so will have to find this via a WiFi laptop.
bit over the top to reformat,what is your A/V telling you?
Sorry meant to ask,if you have your xp cd,no problem,its no good reformatting if you cant replace your operating system.Cant see how you can reformat from xp as you cant do it if your operating system is in use.
I thought i had resolved this problem but it appears not.
It was working fine yesterday (albeit when I can connect to the internet but I think that is another problem thanks to the ISP), today it started up ok, but then when it started to play up (not connecting to internet) I thought I would restart and work in safe mode, as this has usually sorted it out.
However I am getting a message that says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : C\windows\system32\config\system"
It says I can attempt to repair by starting windows set up using the original CD Rom (which is a genuine XP Home Edition disc as it came with the PC).
When I select "r" to start repair with the disc in place, nothing happens it just keeps repeating this same message
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
The only thing I could do in the end was "recover" so again in the space of 2 weeks i've lost everything.
Am really fed up with all the PC problems and internet problems I am having.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.