Forgotten password on old Toshiba.

Govan1x 10:30 19 Jul 2019
Answered

Grandaughters old laptop must be about 10 years old. Toshiba satellite with Vista.

She just wants to see if any photos etc on it before we scrap it.

She has tried most of the passwords that she can remember without any luck.

Can open new user part of it and that's about all.

Any quick way of doing this without having to take the bottom off to remove the CMOS battery.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 19 Jul 2019

Always worth having a linux live distro on a CD for old machines or USb stick for machines without a built in DVD.

CAn be used to recoer personal data or even replace system files to repair a non booting windows installation.

click here

Govan1x 20:45 19 Jul 2019

ok granddaughter is going back to Chester tomorrow so will probably not get this fixed in time.

So will probably just remove the hard drive then bin it.

Her mother also has an old Toshiba but it has W7 on it. Can I download anything from that which will help with the password.

if not that will be 2 that's getting scrapped.

Also have my other granddaughters Acer but she stays in Australia now and the Laptop battery will not charge but will work using the power cable.

Don't think it is worth buying a new battery for it so that is probably going to be another one that will get scrapped.

And you will be pleased to know there are no others

I had a spare acer battery in my collection that has gone missing. That's just about how my luck is going at the moment.Mind you had a bit of good news today so cant complain I suppose.

Just remembered i also have an HP laptop without a charger that does not seem to belong to anyone.I don't really have time to mess about with them just now. So might put them away for a rainy day when I am less busy.

bremner 21:07 19 Jul 2019

Removing and replacing the cmos battery will make absolutely no difference to the login Window password.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:18 19 Jul 2019

Read my Linux link it tells you how to reset a windows password

Govan1x 23:19 19 Jul 2019

Thanks for the info bremner.That saves me from taking it apart.

Menzie 23:59 19 Jul 2019

Old laptops are still good, still have my Fujitsu laptop bought in 2007. It runs Linux Mint now and has an SSD.

Bought a third party battery and it still all works. Not even a dead pixel yet.

Govan1x 19:34 25 Jul 2019

Tried Fruit Bat /\0/\'s selection and could not get it to work.

So hooked the hardrive up to another laptop and can get into it But not sure where to look for passwords.

Anyone any idea.

x13 19:51 25 Jul 2019

I was thinking along the lines of recovering photos, documents etc and copying to the host PC.

Govan1x 21:21 25 Jul 2019

x13

I am sure i managed to delete the password that way before. But maybe that was just luck.

I could not find any photos on it. Keeps me busy and gives me something to do. So will keep trying.

Govan1x 23:38 25 Jul 2019
Answer

Got a bit lucky and managed to open it tonight.

It was not worth the bother. To many old programs on it that would not update or could not update. No Photos.

So probably a bin case. The other one had W7 on it so might keep that one.

Anyhow thanks everyone for your help. Will class as resolved.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)