The following file is missing or corrupted:...

litchy 21:06 09 Sep 2004

Hi! Can anyone help?

I have Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (on CD) and an Intel Pentium III 550MHz Processor.

Ever since deleting some programs (thinking they were Spyware), I have been unable to load Windows 98. Can you help?

I get the message:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

C:\>REM [Header]
DOSKey installed

MODE prepare code page function completed

MODE select code page function completed
Cannot find WIN.COM, unable to continue loading Windows

C:\>_ (Cursor is flashing)

Is there any way of reloading Windows (and if possible, retrieving my data)?

I have tried SCANREG/RESTORE, but in vain. Even my System Restore CD/Floppy disks that my computer company gave me don't work.

Please help! I am lost without my computer. Many thanks!!!

litchy

VoG II 21:12 09 Sep 2004

click here

but also see click here

"Even my System Restore CD/Floppy disks that my computer company gave me don't work." - what happens when you try?

end 23:14 09 Sep 2004

( will leave the "complicated stuff" to the experts but )are you actually running win 98se on that computer; and what programs did you run that made you believe that you may have spyware on there? how far, if at all, do you get when you try to boot up, and have you let the PC "run" for a few moments to see if it can find the missing data somewhere within itself ?

Stuartli 09:49 10 Sep 2004
  litchy 23:55 13 Sep 2004

Hi! Can anyone help? I have Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (on CD) and an Intel Pentium III 550MHz Processor. I've been having problems loading Windows 98. Can you help?

Originally, I got the message: The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS C:\>REM [Header] DOSKey installed MODE prepare code page function completed MODE select code page function completed Cannot find WIN.COM, unable to continue loading Windows C:\>_ (Cursor is flashing).

I managed to sort out two of the problems, HIMEM and IFSHLP (by copying them from a floppy). The only problem is that I don't have a copy of DBLBUFF.SYS. Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy online and will I also need to download a copy of WIN.COM? Many thanks for your help!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?