Folder icons...

barryoneoff 17:00 02 Feb 2003

I should know how to do this but cant remember (old age!) I went potty today, cleared out old files etc. I had a mass of short cut icons on the desktop, so I created new folders and put related items in their own categories. So now all I have is a row of boring folders, (graphics, office,tweak tools etc.)

I cant remember how to chanfe the folder icons to somwthing more interesting. It cant be done with a right click, but I know its possible as I have done it in the past. Any ideas?
Cheers... Win ME by the way.

jediknight007 17:05 02 Feb 2003

Well, I'm not exactly sure about what you are asking but I will try and help. I only have Windows XP Pro but I think ME is similar. Right click on the file and go to Properties. Then select the Shortcut tab and then click on Change Icon... and find a file (doesn't matter about the type) with the icon you want and double click on it. Then click on Apply and then OK. Hope that helps.

leo49 17:06 02 Feb 2003

ChangeIcon from here will do it for you in a jiffy.

click here

Regards

crx16 17:07 02 Feb 2003

or create shortcut for each folder,these will have the change icon option

AubreyS 17:08 02 Feb 2003

I think that you may have made the new folders on the desktop instead of making them in the C: directory. Make a new folder in C: then right click on it then choose Send To Desktop [Create Shortcut]. The when you have done that Right click on it, Properties, Change Icon.

Good luck.

leo49 17:09 02 Feb 2003

Sorry,misread your post - thought you wanted to change the icons in your Programs folder.

Regards

barryoneoff 17:11 02 Feb 2003

you dont get the option to change on the right click unless it is a shortcut rather than a folder, Thanks for the response anyway.

Leo49...Will try it now, cheers.

barryoneoff 17:14 02 Feb 2003

You got it (I think), your answer seems to ring a bell. I did create them on the desktop. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?