FM transmitter blocking sat nav signals?

Diodorus Siculus 08:21 16 Oct 2007

I have a TomTom One XL (WE) sat nav system which guided me across France, Belgium and Holland wonderfully. For the last few weeks however, it was unable to get a signal most of the time when I would go on a long journey so TomTom suggested a hard reset, updating of software etc. but this was all to no avail.

Last night I realised that the inability to get a signal was due to my FM transmitter for my MP3 player (I listen to a lot of audio books when on the road). Whenever the transmitter was on, the signal could not be found or alternatively if the sat nav was on first, the signal would then be lost.

Does this make any sense and if so, what can I do other than forget about the transmitter?

Many thanks, Dio

Diodorus Siculus 08:47 16 Oct 2007

Yes it is possible but not really a road I want to go down unless there is no alternative.

Diodorus Siculus 08:52 16 Oct 2007

Thanks but I have an external aerial - what I want to find out is if there is a way to avoid this and if the FM transmitter should be blocking the signal.

Perhaps it is the transmitter which needs replacing - I just want to find out if anyone else has similar problems.

Graham. 09:06 16 Oct 2007

The FM transmitter is undoubtedly so powerful that it is masking the satellite signals, which are relatively very weak.

muddypaws 09:11 16 Oct 2007

My son has just got the TT 720. Not sure if he has set up his fm transmitter link yet. If you leave post open for a couple of days will try and check.
Have you tried the TT forum yet? click here

Diodorus Siculus 12:33 16 Oct 2007

Thanks for those replies.

The front windscreen has a heater element which is wonderful in the cold weather but hasn't caused any problems thus far.

I will try a more expensive FM transmitter which I can purchase in Halfords with the proviso that I can return if it is causing any problems. I have tried the one I have plugged into the power socket / cigarette lighter that is in the rear of the car and it still causes a problem.

I suppose I can always go back to using the audio books via CD which is what I did till recently.

Anyway, I'll leave this open till muddypaws gets back with a response and I will update with anything I discover in the meantime.

muddypaws 20:02 16 Oct 2007

Pardon!!
Diodorus Siculus.
My son usues the fm for the voice instructions on his 720 with no problem.

Diodorus Siculus 23:03 18 Oct 2007

Will have to leave it for now I suppose - at least till I get into Halfords and buy a new transmitter. Just a shame as I am missing out on lots of "reading" while in the car.

Cheers, Dio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?