Floppy drive acting strange.

redbarron 16:55 04 Nov 2008

Please note this is carried on from a previous post today.

Bad news I'm afraid. Still not fixed.

Uninstalled software for floppy drive. Purchased new floppy drive, fitted unit and re-booted. Software for drive auto installed.

Still not fixed.

Symptoms again are...

The green drive light comes on, then the floppy drive makes a brief noise for only a second or two as though it's trying to load some information. It only last for a second or two then stops and the light goes out. Then it starts all over again about 10 seconds later.

Have tried leaving a floppy disc in the drive. Although it's stopped the noise it is still going through the same sequence as above.

Have taken the new floppy drive back and got a refund and refitted the original.

Any more ideas would be appreciated please.

DieSse 16:59 04 Nov 2008

Something is trying to read a diskette - and since there isn't one in the drive, it does what you describe.

Put a diskette into it, with some information on it preferably (ie not a blank), and see what happens.

DieSse 17:03 04 Nov 2008

Sorry - i didn't read your post thoroughly enough.

However the situation is still as I surmised IMO - a program is doing this for some reason. Might even be malware looking to infect a diskette.

Go through the running processes and try stopping them one at a time, and see if you can identify the program.

Suspect anti-virus software first off, IMO.

redbarron 17:11 04 Nov 2008

Hi DieSse

I'm running Norton Antivirus 2008. It come to it's subscription end very soon. Going over to Kaspersky.

Rahere 17:58 04 Nov 2008

I think DieSse is on the right track - either your AV is checking the drive or there's a program that's expecting to write to it - have you used the drive at all recently - perhaps something needs to finish...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?