floppy discs \xp???

no.good.at.all 20:33 05 Nov 2003

can anyone help? i cannotuse floppy discs now im using xp .it tells me the disc needs formating which i try to do but it comes back telling me the disc cannot be formatted. htis is the same with old and new discs

alan 2273 20:42 05 Nov 2003

Does it say that the disc is Write Protected, if so make sure the square hole in the bottom left hand corner is closed.

PA28 21:00 05 Nov 2003

There is no problem with floppies in XP. Check that your floppy drive has been recognised in Device Manager (My Computer>System Information>Hardware). If it's not there, check your BIOS settings are detecting the drive, and that the cable from the drive to the motherboard is secure and correctly connected (Pin 1 where it should be at both ends).

no.good.at.all 22:14 05 Nov 2003

device man has reported the device is working fine no probs .if lead were wrong way round would it detect it?
if i put in a disc and acess my comp and try to open a: it says the disc needs to be formatted
if i look at the properties it shows as blue (full) but 0 bytes and 0 bytes free? strange???

no.good.at.all 22:34 05 Nov 2003

drive light only on when trying to read disc
it all worked fine (hardware)when on 98se
it says data type rawbut will not open it

PA28 22:31 06 Nov 2003

Sorry... sweeping statement! On a sample of 5 machines running XP home and Pro, with both AMD and Intel Chips, I have no problems with floppies. The last is my own desktop P4, which I have just converted to XP (and this has an ancient floppy drive fitted which I'm suprised still works - it cost about ?60 from Opus which gives a pretty good idea of its' vintage!).

no.good.at.all 19:40 07 Nov 2003

well i have come to the end of this ive had enuf ill buy a new one from the local comp fair will post results if any!!! thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

How Samsung has redesigned its interface to be more like Apple and less like Android

iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10

Samsung Galaxy Fold : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique