floppy disc data

tricia321 18:28 20 May 2005

Hi, hope you can help with this one??
I backed up my all data using a floppy disc, I used the backup tool in windows professional, then windows said that they couldn't access the data so I used a programme which said it could unzip any file but now windows say that the file still can't be accessed,and the flppy disc drive isnt evn showing when I try "restore files" what can I do to retrieve my backed up data from floppy back into my system again, (I had to use the recovery disc to get my Pc working normally after a virus got in and slowed everything to a crawl).which wiped out all my data, thats why I backed up!!!
Tricia

Technotiger 19:04 20 May 2005

Hi - " to retrieve my backed up data from floppy back into system"

when you back up to floppy or anything else for that matter, your data still stays on your original system, it never leaves there. The floppy back-up is only a copy.

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:06 20 May 2005

ps - I was assuming of course that your original system has not been formatted or wiped.

Technotiger 19:08 20 May 2005

sorry - gettin' old - just read your post again - properly this time.

Technotiger 19:12 20 May 2005

Me again - ok, to try to get pc to find floppy drive, disconnect floppy drive, shut down pc, then reconnect floppy drive and restart pc, windows should then 'find' floppy drive and reinstall it. If successful you may then be able to read your floppy disk.

Sorry about previous silly responses.

GroupFC 19:13 20 May 2005

You missed this bit - LOL!

"(I had to use the recovery disc to get my Pc working normally after a virus got in and slowed everything to a crawl).which wiped out all my data, thats why I backed up!!"

Tricia, lets go one step at a time. You backed up your documents to a floppy using the windows back-up, yes? If this is correct the back up is a file labelled ????.bkf. Can you see this on the disc , thro Windows explorer or can you not access the a-drive at all?

Technotiger 19:16 20 May 2005

I have not been dringkin - teetotal, honest.

1. Shut down pc

2. Disconnect Floppy Drive.

3. Restart pc.

4. Allow to run for a moment or two then shut doen pc again.

5. Reconnect floppy drive.

6. Restart pc - which may then 'find' floppy drive etc.........

Arrrgh.

tricia321 19:49 20 May 2005

Pc recognises floppy disc drive but but restore on windows backup doesnt!!!but I will restart with floppy drive connected, ( its a separate drive)
will let you know,

tricia321 20:02 20 May 2005

have restarted with floppy disc connected but restore still cant find the drive, what can I do now??? floppy disc is showing three backup files

Technotiger 20:09 20 May 2005

Can you move the files from floppy to hard drive and then run them from hard drive?

Technotiger 20:10 20 May 2005

ps - perhaps make a new folder on hard-drive to put files from floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?