Flashing screen, smelly laptop, cannot startup

Szente011 19:43 22 Dec 2016

Hi guys! My laptop's sound did not work so I took it to a guy who can repair. I personally do not know anything about how this works so I would like someone to explain it to me. This repairer said he had to "replace the sound IC", I did not care as long as it all worked. But now after 1 day, the laptop's screen started flashing in different colors (blue, green, gray etc). I searched forums what could have happened, and I found that it could be the graphics card driver. I restarted the laptop and it booted just right, but after some minutes the flash started again. I turned it off again and tried to turn it on, but this last time it couldn't startup. A really stinky smell came from the laptop so it must be some hardware thing and not any driver problem. Tomorrow I'm going to bring it back to the repairer, but I do not want him to deceive me. So please someone explain it to me, what could have he done wrong in my laptop, and how could this happen? Thank you very much in advance.

bumpkin 20:08 22 Dec 2016

If a burning smell then something probably shorting out.

Szente011 20:09 22 Dec 2016

Yes it is. What I would like to know is if it could have happened because of the repair and this is the guy's fault or not at all?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 22 Dec 2016

as its only a day out of repair and he must of soldered in a new sound chip its obviously affected something else

take it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?