Flash drive problem ?

noddy 11:41 02 Nov 2004

Good Day

Wonder if anybody can assist me, I have copied files onto a flash drive, and although it shows disc space has been consumed, I cannot see any files whatsoever.

Need help ASAP Please ?

Thanks in advance

noddy 15:25 02 Nov 2004

I really dont want to format usb drive.. as the data I have on it, I have now completely deleted from my machine.

It was all personal data, which I wanted to transfer to home, so I copied it then deleted it from my work machine !

Any ideas friends ?

noddy 15:38 02 Nov 2004

Audeal..

I think you have hit the nail on the head..How do I convert back ?

noddy 15:52 02 Nov 2004

Okay.. I think I am little closer now.. I converted files, now I can access files but they are all files with nuts & bolts icons.

But I can see them on the disc, but they have no names, is there a way to convert back to original format perhaps ?

Audeal 20:34 02 Nov 2004

noddy: Some useful info.

Convert Fat32 to NTFS:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS.
Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to NTFS.
----------------------------------------

Convert NTFS to Fat32:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type CONVERT C: /FS:FAT32.
Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to FAT32.
-----------------------------------------
NOTE:
It is not possible to convert the boot partition while the operating system is running. To convert the boot partition, it is always necessary to run the CONVERT command, click Yes in the error message, and then restart the computer. The partition is converted the next time the computer is restarted. As an alternative, you can start the computer in an installation of Windows XP that is on a different partition, and convert the boot partition from that installation of Windows XP.

noddy 12:09 03 Nov 2004

I have converted files, but they have all come back as numerical files as recovered file fragment files.

How do I convert back to original format, i.e. word etc

anchor 13:23 03 Nov 2004

My Lexar 256mb USB flash drive is FAT32, and my PC and laptop are NTFS.

I have no problems at all in reading/copying files to/from it.

Audeal 14:22 03 Nov 2004

anchor: I had much the same problem after loosing all my data from an external USB drive. A recovery program was used to get them back and all the files where renamed. All my music files where lost but I did manage to save my Photos.

I do not know for sure but is it possible to rename the files with the original extension at the end. EG. "My Document.doc" and see if it will then load into Word. This may not be possible but is worth a try.

Audeal 14:27 03 Nov 2004

SORRY: This message was for noddy and not anchor. My mistake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?