flash card drivers not installing

Riptide 20:58 29 May 2003

Can anybody help? Installed compact flash card driver cd [win 98se].Restarted computer, connected card reader. Device manager says drivers not loaded. Driver wizard cannot find them on hard drive or original cd supplied with device. AMD processor and Via chipset,& Usb contollers:- both USB 1.1 and also USB 2.0 on PCI card.

Gongoozler 21:27 29 May 2003

Hi Riptide. USB on some older Via chipsets can be very troublesome. The fact that you have the USB on a pci card makes me think yours may be one of the troublesome ones. Do you have any USB devices that work properly? Do you know what Via chipset you have. I have fought quite hard to get a motherboard with a MVP3 chipset working with USB devices without success even with a PCI USB card. I eventually fitted a new motherboard and Duron processor. My USB card reader has driver files C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBCRDRV.SYS, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CMM32.VXD, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\USBSTOR.PDR. It may be worth checking for these files on your system. My card reader is a 7dayshop 6in1 card reader, and the entry in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is for Generic 6-in-1 USB Card reader Driver.

Riptide 21:47 29 May 2003

Hi, I have Via kt133 chipset. All my other usb devices work fine.
Usb 1 ports are on motherboard, Usb2 ports are on PCI card. All the Via drivers are the latest available.
Will try your file suggestions though.

hssutton 21:59 29 May 2003

To get my Delkin C/flash reader to work in Win 98 I have to plug in the reader with the PC switched on, the PC then detects the reader and asks for the drivers, I load the CD-Rom and all works ok. If I load the drivers first then I cannot get the reader to work.

Gongoozler 22:01 29 May 2003

Hi Riptide, my replacement motherboard is an ABIT KT7A with a Via KT133 chipset and I also am using Windows 98se, so our card reader installations should be very similar.

Riptide 12:43 12 Jun 2003

Back Again !
Win 98se, Via chipset. Ive installed all the latest driver updates available for the O/S, the chipset and the card reader. Now I can use the reader BUT ONLY if it is connected after the computer is switched on. If connected before, I still get crashes when making any selection. Obviously this isnt ideal.
Anymore suggestions please. Most Welcome !!

Gongoozler 06:29 13 Jun 2003

Hi Riptide. I have this problem with my 7Dayshop 6-in-1 card reader. Sometimes it works if I switch on the computer with it plugged in, sometimes I get the BSOD with a fatal exception. I haven't yet resolved this one, but it appears to be related to a DLL. I have no problems if I boot up and then plug the card reader in.

Riptide 09:03 13 Jun 2003

Thanks Gongoozler,
Yes ! The BSOD usually tells me its VXD's not DLL's. But what the Hell !
They change anyway. Looks like its a case of removing drive before starting. Incidentally Device works fine on Win Me on my works Dell, but upgrading O/S seems a bit drastic.

Gongoozler 10:45 13 Jun 2003

Hi Riptide. I've just done a couple of reboots with my card reader plugged in, and the errors appear to be related to disktsd.vxd and voltrack.vxd. (e.g. An exception 00 has occurred at 0028:C1827402 in VxD DiskTSD(03) + 00001E02 called from VxD voltrack(04) + 00000000).

I had a bit of a search via Google, and although I haven't found anything relating to card readers, I found several references relating to cd drives. It would appear that some people have had success with later versions of these files. I will keep searching to see if I can find something more specific, but I suspect that the reason you are not having the same problem with Win ME is that it uses a later version of the files.

Riptide 21:02 15 Jun 2003

Gongoozler ->
I get the voltrack with acrovbus, not disktsd.
Voltrak is in Win Me but do not use it. I had to reinstall Win 98 after I tried to install that file.
Microsoft do not have it on their download site and their phone support took an hour to tell me they could not find it !

We'll keep trying.

Riptide 21:03 15 Jun 2003

Gongoozler ->
I get the voltrack with acrovbus, not disktsd.
Voltrak is in Win Me but do not use it. I had to reinstall Win 98 after I tried to install that file.
Microsoft do not have it on their download site and their phone support took an hour to tell me they could not find it !

We'll keep trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming