Fix pc with hard drive removed?

Anonymous Pete 16:55 15 Nov 2016

Hi all. I have an old OC from college (15 yrs old) It was custom built and were it still working I would count it as still powerfull. Anyway, the fuse kept blowing so I replaced the power pack but the problem persists. I want to get it repaired but I have some risque pics of my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) that I would rather not have some computer tech looking at. Can I remove the harddrive and still get it repaired? thanks Anonymous Pete

robin_x 17:19 15 Nov 2016

Encrypt the photos using, say, Axcrypt (don't forget the encryption key)

or

Move them all to one folder and zip the folder with a password

Then use Ccleaner > Tools > Drive Wiper > Wipe Free Space

robin_x 17:20 15 Nov 2016

Not sure a 15 yr old PC is worth repairing though

lotvic 21:41 15 Nov 2016

Can I remove the harddrive and still get it repaired?

Don't see why not, if it's the other hardware that's causing the problem. Do you have a spare harddrive you could put in, in place of it, if needed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 15 Nov 2016

Yes you can remove the drive and still get it to power on with out it.

Check nothing lodged under motherboard shorting to frame. Surprised a new PSU hasn't fixed it.

For all the doubters out there I still run a 1988 laptop (yes it green screen and bigger than my current desktop) its a 286 with a 256Mb drive :0)

robin_x 22:02 15 Nov 2016

Also try a different mains lead / double socket outlet in case of loose terminals causing increased current.

Shaking and inverting the unit, when unplugged, can be useful to listen for stray screws.

alanrwood 10:29 16 Nov 2016

Hi robin_x

Can you explain what you mean in more detail.

Also try a different mains lead / double socket outlet in case of loose terminals causing increased current.

robin_x 11:15 16 Nov 2016

Loose terminals may cause the voltage to drop, but the PC still demands upto 300W, 500W, 750W or whatever, depending on how powerful a rig it is. So the current has to go up, maybe exceeding the fuse rating.

Moulded mains leads are sealed, so fixing a loose terminal or even a partly broken wire is not possible, Replace the cable as a precaution.

Mains socket faceplates can be unscrewed from the wall (with electric off at Consumer Unit) and the terminals checked for tightness and the copper conductors for integrity and damage. A stranded wire may only be connected by a couple of strands, for example. Or is completely sheared through at the screw terminal and is just touching.

But it's easier to just try another socket in a different part of the room and many people don't like, or are incapable of, 'messing with electrics'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs smartphones Honor