fitting new ram in Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545

jacobjohn7 17:48 14 Mar 2012
Answered

i've got 2 more gb of ram(2x1) for this machine.. Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545 any help/guidance/links for fitting these?

lotvic 13:12 15 Mar 2012

and on other thread I posted link to crucial video of installing ram.

Here it is again: just click in place

video shows how to fit ram http://www.youtube.com/embed/mGTT0Vcy0E4

jacobjohn7 15:43 15 Mar 2012

hi, yes thanks for all the info, been down those routes,.. i have located and firmly fitted the memory several times and keep getting 5 beep warning, any other things I can try? I was recommended this memory as compatible by the people I got the comp off. Someone mentioned BIOS on another thread I read... but if this is relevant don't know what to do with it etc. thanks for info. john

jacobjohn7 15:45 15 Mar 2012

one more detail is the two occupied ram slots are black, and the two spare ones are white? would this be off any note, or just a colour/difference/brand etc and of no issue?

jacobjohn7 19:22 15 Mar 2012

OOMP: HP XW6200 RAM: 2GB 2x1GB HP DL380 G4 Server PC3200 ECC memory DDR2 Reg

I hope this helps. cheers

lotvic 20:52 15 Mar 2012

jacobjohn7, no offence but stop piddling about and go to crucial.com and download the memory advisor which will then bring up a list of compatible memory for your pc.

Do the specs of the memory you have bought match the crucial results?

Next tell us on here what crucial says and what the specs are of the memory you have bought and are trying to fit but getting beeps.

jacobjohn7 09:46 16 Mar 2012

Hi, i did the crucial thing and saw its recommendation, and price of memory. I did this after contacting the people who I got the perfectly good comp from. I asked if they did any compatible extra RAM for the comp, they provided me with a link for their item number, I purchased said item. Got it home, tried it, had the logged problems, contacted provider, then find out today from them, that the person who said it was compatible was wrong, and to send it back with full refund. So, may well go down the crucial route next... even with the additional expence. Although could still buy the suggested RAM from elsewhere once I have logged what the correct type is! But thanks for the help people... bit of a wild goose chase, as incorrect RAM has been suggested.

jacobjohn7 09:57 16 Mar 2012

Rec'd ram on crucial.. I've had ram from them before, so guess its worth the extra amount...

2GB kit (1GBx2)
DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Single Ranked • Registered • ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 72 • • Part #: CT821461

lotvic 12:57 16 Mar 2012

What are the full specs of the ram that is already in pc and works?

What motherboard is it? (SIW will tell you these)

Advice given are mostly shots in the dark as there seems to be no clear picture of exactly what specs/model your pc is, except it is a HP workstation XW6200. It could be one of three different motherboards as far as I can make out.

jacobjohn7 09:52 21 Mar 2012

The computer is a HP workstation XW 6200 this is the dxdiag. Hope this helps as getting conflicting info from various suppliers, checked the crucial scan and recorded suggested results but don't want to break the bank... and I want 2 x 2gb now to make up to 6gb. My existing memory is ECC also. is the mhz a crucial factor also?, as I thought system needed 667 according to crucial but another provider said I need 400? Hope someone can help clear up a bit.

DXDIAG

System Information

Time of this report: 3/21/2012, 09:44:25 Machine name: ** Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpspsp3gdr.111025-1629) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard System Model: hp workstation xw6200 BIOS: Default System BIOS Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz (4 CPUs) Memory: 2048MB RAM Page File: 952MB used, 4015MB available Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) DX Setup Parameters: Not found DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

jacobjohn7 12:33 21 Mar 2012

hi, yes that did cross my mind about max ram, but the system said it supported 32 and 64 bit, but if its down to the OS then prob max at 4gb like you said, but it does specify 8gb max on ad for comp and on crucial? I'm not sure how to find out what motherboard it is. with regard to games, it plays the shogun 2 my son likes to play, but on low settings. If any higher it freezes, thought the extra ram would help this along its way, the old system comp has a decent gaming graphics card in however. . cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Inside the new Apple Mac Pro: an in-depth look at Apple’s most powerful hardware yet

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Amazon Prime : prix, avantages et offre gratuite