fitting larger hard drive and partitions

Kingfisher 17:21 11 Feb 2010

Hello I am about to replace my existing 80gig hard drive with a 250gb hard for my dell dimension desktop, I plan to use a back up image that I have on my external hard drive. the question is my existing 80gig hard drive has a 58 mbyte partition for Dell recovery options and the second partition makes up the rest of the hard drive, When I restore the backup image (not clone) will the second partition expand to the new size of the new hard drive IE: 250gbytes less 58 mbytes partition, or will I have to increase the larger partition, which I am not sure how to do.
Or can I image only the larger partition on my existing hard drive and forget about the recovery partition. Incidently Acronis suggested backup image and not clone image.
many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 11 Feb 2010

You need a backup of the "whole drive" not just your system partition.

This then means you also have a copy of the dell restore partition as part of the image.

click here tells you how to resize the partitions during the restore.

Kingfisher 17:48 11 Feb 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ That advice has answered my question, much appreciated, ticked as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?