First PC Custom Build Help

Martin Smith 20:38 05 Jan 2017

Hi Guys, first post so hi and happy new year.

I have been thinking about doing my first build. Could you let me know what you guys think of this build and if you think I will have any compatability issues and the like.

Motherboard: Asus Rog Viii Hero

CPU: i7-6700K

RAM: Corsair vengeance 16GB 3200MHz

Case: Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

HDD: Seagate ST4000DX001 hybrid 4TB

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Optical: Bluray drive

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 S 700W

GPU: GTX 1080

This will be my first build so its a bit new to me but I think these components work well for what I want. Do you think they will all be ok together, specifically the power supply. Will it be enough for everything.

Thanks in advance guys.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:34 06 Jan 2017

*Will it be enough for everything.

not knowing what everything is that's hard to say. What exactly do you want to use the machine for? Plain office work? Gaming? Video Editing?

It will be good enough for most things.

Secret-Squirrel 10:15 06 Jan 2017

Happy new year to you too Martin.

Will it be enough for everything.

Yes it will. It's an extremely well-specified PC that will perform all tasks very quickly.

A 700W power supply will be more than enough for the components you've listed.

wee eddie 10:31 06 Jan 2017

SSD and a Hybrid HDD is probably overkill and, in my opinion, gain you little advantage. Don't drop the SSD but drop the Hybrid Drive

I have read through the Specs and found no reference to the "spin" speed. of this drive so assume that it's 5800rpm. Under normal circumstances you would get faster responses from an HDD with a rotation speed of 7200rpm

boyo123boyo 11:57 06 Jan 2017

As said above, the 700w is plenty for your current spec but if you think you may wish to upgrade your spec further in the future, it's a good idea to check out what your power needs might become.

I started my rig with a 550w supply and when I upgraded my spec, I needed to upgrade my power supply to 850w. I've now got a 550w power supply sitting around waiting for a use to be found.

Secret-Squirrel 12:18 06 Jan 2017

.......Hybrid HDD is probably overkill and, in my opinion, gain you little advantage.

That depends on what Martin's going to be storing on that drive. If it's frequently used programs and games then the SSHD's 8GB SSD cache will make a big difference.

........ the "spin" speed. of this drive so assume that it's 5800rpm.

It's actually 5900 RPM for the 4TB model. The 1TB & 2TB models have a speed of 7200 RPM so they will perform a tiny bit better.

Martin Smith 12:43 06 Jan 2017

Brilliant thanks guys. I currently already have the gtx 1080, the 700w power supply and the bluesy drive in my current pc. So I will reuse those parts. Then buy everything else. But that's great to hear about the power supply. Eventually I would like to look at SLI 1080s so I might need to check the power supply at that point. But should be good for now.

The HDD is something I'm questioning. Might go for a western digital blue. But now it sure yet.

I plan to use the computer a lot for gaming and work as I'm a software engineer.

Thanks again for your input guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)