First build: loops but no bios screen

Boase98 11:33 19 Dec 2016
Answered

I've just built my first PC. I had a friend help who built his own pc also and he isn't certain everything is connected properly and so am I. When I plug the PC in and press the power button, all fans come on and mobo light comes on for about 6 seconds then restarts and does the sameness until I stop it. It doesn't even reach the bios screen. I've tried putting the ram into different slots, tried with just one stick of ram, tried without gpu, checked cpu and socket for bent pins-can't see any. Components are as follows: CPU: i5-6500 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX480 SSD: Kingston 120GB HDD: WD caviar blue 1TB RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Venegance Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H PSU: EVGA 600B

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 19 Dec 2016
Answer

4 pin cable connected near cpu?

Boase98 11:54 19 Dec 2016

Yes

Jollyjohn 12:20 19 Dec 2016

Disconnect the front panel connectors. Identify the correct two pins of the power switch. Use a small flat screwdriver to momentarily short those to pins.

If PC continues to restart then I suspect there is a short circuit from the motherboard to the case

Boase98 12:33 19 Dec 2016

Edit: meant to put is* certain everything is connected

Boase98 12:33 19 Dec 2016

Jollyjohn would this mean I need a new mobo?

Archonar 13:16 19 Dec 2016

Not necessarily, first let's make sure the motherboard is definitely broken.

Try removing the motherboard from the pc, taking off all non essential components (GPU, Hard Drive etc), plug the display cable into the motherboard, and either push the case power button if it's still connected or use a paper clip to connect the two PWR pins on the motherboard to turn it on. This way you know that it's not a case short or a bad gpu / hdd that's causing the issue.

Boase98 13:27 19 Dec 2016

One other thing, I was provided with brass standoffs but I haven't used them as there is raised bits on the case which perfectly places the motherboard anyway... could this be the problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 19 Dec 2016

Yes the board will be shorting to the case, you need to use the stand offs.

Untick my earlier post as the problem isn't sorted yet the thread shows as completed so no one will look at it and you will not recieve notifications of answers to your thread.

Boase98 14:13 19 Dec 2016

I've used the standoffs, the case came with 2 but only 1 is supporting the mobo, the same problem is occuring

Boase98 14:16 19 Dec 2016

Also when i untick as not the answer it just changes the other replies to answers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?