First Attempt - Comments please

Dirty Dick 16:43 10 May 2007

My first attemp for a friend. Comments would be appreciated, but please nbe gentle.

click here

Thanx

DD

Forum Editor 16:31 11 May 2007

Remove the red background - the site will look much better.

Then add some images, cars with L-plates and smiling learners, that kind of thing.

Forum Editor 12:32 13 May 2007

spelling and punctuation errors, but of course they can be tidied up fairly easily.

More important, at least to begin with, are inconsistencies in the content presentation. A case in point is the 'show me, tell me' page. You start off with the answers nicely italicised, but abandon that as the page goes on. Having the answers in italics makes the whole thing much easier to read.

Something else that will help is to reduce the body text point size; that might have the effect of eliminating the need for a visitor's browser to insert a vertical scroll bar (as on the Pass Plus page), and the overall appearance will be far better.

Dirty Dick 10:18 14 May 2007

... I'm going to have a word with my friend about the changes suggested this weekend.
I'm not sure what an e-mail encrypter is, I've Googled for it and got an amazing number of hits, but I'm not sure what to look for. Do I need another programme to encrypt the e-mail, if so can any one recommend, preferabley, a free one.

wishtobwireless 23:10 18 May 2007

that the opening page should grab the attention! So whatever it takes to get people to keep looking at the site it must be on the opening page. From what I saw perhaps the rates your friend is charging seem very good so perhaps this needs to be an attention grabber.
Also as I am a pessimist and to most teenagers the following statement
'Making safe driving a priority', is not there priority! and could even be a turn off.

Just a thought have a look at woowoowoo site about the blue tits (on the front page of helpforum for the past two weeks) some great colours there...

wishtobwireless 07:31 19 May 2007
  Legolas 14:04 19 May 2007

Just to be different I like the red background and the way it fades keep it it gives the site some character

Dirty Dick 15:21 01 Jul 2007

Thanx for all your comments. I have removed the red background, so it now loads quicker.

I have tried to change the e-mail link to an image as suggested, but the quality is not very good. I have tried with both Photoshop and Paint, but the results are poor as can be seen.

Can anyone suggest a way of making the quality of the e-mail image any better?

Thanx again

DD

Dirty Dick 19:38 05 Aug 2007

.....This website was ok when viewed in Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7, but I have just upgraded my Laptop to Vista Ultimate, and on the "Prices" page I have 2 scrolling marquees, and when I try to open that page in Vista & IE7, I get the "Info Bar" popping up. I click install Active X , but then I get a dialogue box saying "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher" and the only option is to click “OK”. It’s as though Windows is saying “If I don’t sign your software, then you can’t open it”.

Is there anything, anywhere, that I can do to view this webpage, either in settings etc OR MORE IMPORTANTLY will people who view the website with Vista & IE7 have the same problem?

Thanx

DD

Dirty Dick 19:38 05 Aug 2007

.....This website was ok when viewed in Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7, but I have just upgraded my Laptop to Vista Ultimate, and on the "Prices" page I have 2 scrolling marquees, and when I try to open that page in Vista & IE7, I get the "Info Bar" popping up. I click install Active X , but then I get a dialogue box saying "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher" and the only option is to click “OK”. It’s as though Windows is saying “If I don’t sign your software, then you can’t open it”.

Is there anything, anywhere, that I can do to view this webpage, either in settings etc OR MORE IMPORTANTLY will people who view the website with Vista & IE7 have the same problem?

Thanx

DD

Dirty Dick 10:13 06 Aug 2007

I did not have Java Runtime installed, have now installed it, BUT still in same situation. Any other ideas please? Windows just keeps blocking.

Cheers

DD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?