Firewire and USB Hub

  clo2_clo 21:58 21 May 2006

Hi i purchased a firewire external hard disk drive, then realised my computer doesnt have a firewire port.

I've heard than i can purchase a hub which i connect through a usb port, and i can then use firewire devices on my PC. I have been told that i can purchase a PCI slot but i dont have any free spaces on my PC at the moment and dont want to lose them.

Is this suitable or possible?

I also wonder if anyone will be able to help me find one online for a reasonable price so that i can use this hard drive ive bought. I need the help so that i dont get it wrong again.

Anybody know what to do????
Many thanks, Chloe

  woodchip 22:16 21 May 2006

Looks like somethings got to go or change

  clo2_clo 22:17 21 May 2006

yer but which one i dont know which one to take out, cant i get a hub

  john-232317 22:36 21 May 2006

Yeah but a hub has to plug into something and if you want to run firewire off it, then I assume it would have to be plugged into a firewire card, so you might just as well get a card. How come you have no space for one ?

  woodchip 22:37 21 May 2006

Well I have looked for Adapter but don't think they make one

  clo2_clo 22:39 21 May 2006

dunno its about 5 yrs old my pc but was quite good when we bought it, its got an ethernet pci slot, surround sound, one with the monitor in n another one wit nuttin plugged in.

spose cud use that one??

  Totally-braindead 22:45 21 May 2006

Perhaps someone has heard of something like that but I certainly haven't. As far as I know the only way you can add firewire is either to buy a new motherboard which has firewire built in, which is a bit extreme really, or buy a PCI firewire card.

If you have no PCI slots left as you said then the choices are remove one of your devices or sell the hard drive and buy a USB 2.0 one.

  Totally-braindead 22:47 21 May 2006

It took me a while to type the above. If you do have a spare slot then just use that. You said in your first posting you had no slots free. So which is it?

  clo2_clo 22:48 21 May 2006

i cud take the one out thats not got anything plugged in and use that cudnt i

sry i only jus pulled it out to have a look

are they easy to install?

  skidzy 22:49 21 May 2006

As the others have said,im sure you need a Firewire card to have firewire working,this may give you an idea for future reference...its a combo hub and if i have understood correctly this needs to connect to the firewire card first.Not sure if this helps,but thought i would post anyway.
click here

  woodchip 22:52 21 May 2006

One screw hold's a PCI card in a white slot inside the computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)