Firewalls

Damarc 10:44 12 Jul 2008

I saw the post re Microsoft Updates and ZoneAlarm and that someone had recommended Comodo with a link to a list of firewall product reviews. I downloaded Comodo which I have to say is a bit daunting to a comparative novice as I don't know whether some files are iffy or not from the popups, especially the red banded ones.

I also later bought and installed Norton ISS and the red banded popup security alerts from Comodo came thick and fast but as I was installing I accepted them all.

I now have two questions.
When I had the ZA security alerts I normally understood them and so did my husband who usually refused every one of them! However with Comodo I think he'll be even more confused and may refuse some that are needed. I don't suppose there is a way of refining the refusal or acceptance of these alerts. There are quite a few of them. Coming onto here gave me another six alerts though it might have been because you were the first site I came on, I just don't know. Is it a pretty safe bet to allow the amber ones through and refuse the red ones unless I'm actually installing stuff. The red alerts were mainly to do with registry changes which I presume are needed on installation.

Secondly, and sorry for this long post. Another response to one of my posts said that running two firewalls might cause problems. So far I haven't had a problem with Norton and Comodo. I would like to keep both as Norton doesn't seem very good on the firewall front but don't want to store up problems for myself. I had enough panic over my right arm being cut off by no internet access through MS updates and ZA. VBG

birdface 10:55 12 Jul 2008

I downloaded Comodo which I have to say is a bit daunting to a comparative novice as I don't know whether some files are iffy or not from the popups, especially the red banded ones.
If you are not sure about what to save or remove.may I suggest Kerio Firewall free. Just download it in simple mode and you are not bothered with pop-ups.They were doing a special deal last month the full version for £5 but don't know if it is still available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?