Firewall software needed with router????

Viv-208691 00:11 25 May 2004

Hi there, i have a 'Linksys WAG54G' moderouter which has an included firewall. Can someone please tell whether or not i should also have firewall software (e.g. Norton/McAfee) on each of my networked computers???

Kind regards

johnnyrocker 00:13 25 May 2004

ask linksys?

johnny.

Viv-208691 00:22 25 May 2004

thanks jonny, i was wandering if anyone has had first hand experience though. I doubt Linksys would tell me if the firewall is any good or not (i.e. if i would be better off with firewall software, e.g. Norton instead).

I will give them a call if I get no more feedback. Besides, I'd rather get this sorted now than wait til morning to call them.

Thanks again

Gaz 25 01:05 25 May 2004

Linksys is made by Cisco, its unlikely if a Cisco firewall is rubbish. Cisco are the world standard in high quality networking products.

However, I run a webserver and a hacker managed to gain access behind a hardware firewall, therefore I would suggest that you also install a good in/out firewall on all clients, this will add another level of protection for your network.

Agnitum is a good free firewall, and works very well. Or Kerio. You could also buy Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall if you wish.

Symantec VPN firewall is currently protecting me. While all windows systems either have Norton Personal Firewall or Agnitum and linux has IPTABLES custom firewall.

Rigga 08:12 25 May 2004

I use exactly the same model of router as yourself, and I also have Zonealarm (the free version installed).

Before I installed the router I used to get several thousand external hits over a twenty four hour period. Since I installed the router I have had exactly. NONE.

However I would do as Gaz 25 suggests and install a firewall as well. The "Belt and Braces" approach is always best when dealing with security.

Rigga.

keith-236785 08:26 25 May 2004

Rigga,

just a point, as the (please forgive & inform me if im wrong) router sits between your internet connection and the computer, if you feel you need a software firewall then you will need to install it on every pc connected to the router.

Viv-208691 09:29 25 May 2004

I just phones Linksys and they told me that actually i shouldnt install any more firewalls incase of conflict between them, should i go on their advise or yours??!!!??? :$

BEVERLEY-256334 09:37 25 May 2004

I have a D-LINK router with built in firewall, when I installed Norton firewall it caused a conflict and had to do a system restore. I have windows XP on both PC's so I've just enabled the firewall that came with XP, does anyone know if that will be sufficient.

Viv-208691 09:50 25 May 2004

ive had problems with the xp firewall so i cant say, however, i dont see why that shouldnt conflict with the router's firewall.

ive had problems with the xp firewall so i cant say, however, i dont see why that shouldnt conflict with the router's firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?