Firefox spellchecker, Spellbound, won't install.

octal 08:33 22 Feb 2005

Has anyone tried installing Spellbound recently, the spellchecker for Firefox? The installer is OK but the Linux spell check libraries won't install, I've tried dragging and dropping them but still no joy. I was wondering if this is just a Linux thing or if its the same in Windows.

Thanks.

dagwoood 10:02 22 Feb 2005

octal, I'm not that familiar with Linux, but as to dragging and dropping the extensions into the extensions manager, this does work with windows.

The only thing I can suggest is for you to register on the MozillaZine forum and post a the question. They have a forum especially for extensions( click here ) and perhaps someone on there could help you.

I recently had a problem with getting spellbound to work and someone on there provide me with a link for an updated library that cured some known bugs and the installation took when I used it.

HTH, dagwoood.

octal 10:07 22 Feb 2005

I think there is a problem with Spellbound for both Linux and Windows, I've just come back from WIN98 on the other partition and its the same in Windows, so I've answered my own question. I'll have a look on MozillaZine though.

octal 18:36 16 Apr 2005

Hooray!

Dennis Goycoolea 20:29 18 Apr 2005

Hello there. What was the solution then? Just a link's fine if you found it elsewhere.

I ask 'cause I had no problems installing dictionaries from mozdev.org: did it as root and users are allowed to use them straight away.

I expected permissions problems, but that can't be right if you saw the same thing under win9x - there's no such concept.

Best,

Dennis

octal 21:16 18 Apr 2005

I think it is a permission problem, I couldn't get it working in root no matter what I tried, even from the guy who wrote the Spellbound program, I must say he was very helpful.

For the time being I've installed it in my user account, seeing as I'm the only one on this machine who uses Spellbound, that's not a problem. The only thing I've got to remember is to update the Root FF for the other users as well as my own personal copy.

By the way, I did try installing Spellbound as Root as well as elevated privileges in a user account using the 'sudo -H firefox' but that ended up throwing all sorts of errors at me and it was starting to get complicated.

Here is the link were I've been speaking to him: click here=

Paul.

Dennis Goycoolea 23:43 18 Apr 2005

"I think it is a permission problem, I couldn't get it working in root no matter what I tried"

All that is installed is recorded in install.log, in your FF directory (I've picked up Mandrake's habit of keeping it in /usr/lib/).

Spellbound lives in 'components' and the dictionaries in components/myspell: everything should be world-readable, and libspellchecker.so should also be world-executable. I wrote this before reading your like, so I guess you already know this.

For me the is enough to make it work. Dictionaries installed as root were set to 400 permissions and owned by root, so I changed those. I read the thread on mozillazine and don't really understand why it shouldn't install as simply for you as it does for me.

"By the way, I did try installing Spellbound as Root as well as elevated privileges in a user account using the 'sudo -H firefox' but that ended up throwing all sorts of errors at me and it was starting to get complicated."

sudo just allows you to execute a given command as a different user (if this sounds familiar, it is: sudo is prior art on the MS 'RunAs' patent), so it should allow your user to run FF exactly as root would, as long as you've setup your sudoers file to allow this.

Caveat: unless of course this is some Xandros thing where a given user can by default run commands as root using sudo - Ubuntu certainly does this. Personally I don't like this way of doing things, but that's because it's not what I'm used to. As we know, 9/10ths of what people call usability is really familiarity. :)

Best,

Dennis

Dennis Goycoolea 23:45 18 Apr 2005

I meant "reading your link" above. Readers might also *like* your link, but that's not what I meant. :)

octal 07:07 19 Apr 2005

In Xandros root has got to give a user permission to run sudo, as I found out, it can't be run without doing that. If I get time tonight I'll put some screenshots up of the error, I'm calling it an error, but its not an error as such, I think its a normal function of the operating system that I'm not understanding.

This is a mighty long learning curve, I was warned when I installed Linux, but it does add a bit more interest to the world of computing, instead of just sitting in front of the screen using it.

Oh, I have messed it up a couple of times, but I don't really care because it only takes an hour to install everything back the way it was. I couldn't do that with Windows :-)

Dennis Goycoolea 12:04 19 Apr 2005

"In Xandros root has got to give a user permission to run sudo, as I found out, it can't be run without doing that."

That's normal, then. root needs to run 'visudo' to edit the sudoers file. As the name suggests it uses vi by default, but if you set the environment variable EDITOR you can use a simpler editor (gedit, kate, etc.).

In the meantime, you might just run firefox as root with 'su -c firefox'.

"If I get time tonight I'll put some screenshots up of the error, I'm calling it an error, but its not an error as such, I think its a normal function of the operating system that I'm not understanding."

Sure, I'd like to see them as I'm not sure myself what's happening.

Dennis

octal 20:02 19 Apr 2005

Good evening.

This is the story so far. I've gone into my account and using the root admin console I've edited the sudoers file like so: click here and adding the bit at the bottom, I've been doing a bit of reading on the sudo file and I think that's correct, unless you have other ideas?

Going back to my user console and typing sudo /usr/share/mozilla-firefox/firefox-installer/firefox this is what I get: click here I found I had to type the full path to were FF is located to make it work. As you see, I've come to a grinding halt, what do you think Dennis?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)