Firefox Quantum - Has anyon tried this? Thoughts?

AroundAgain 17:09 14 Nov 2017

Hi Much as the subject suggests, in that there seems to be a new version of Firefox that is claimed to be much faster and lighter

Has anyone tried this yet and, if so, what's the verdict, please? I thought I'd ask your opinions first, if you don't mind, before installing it (I've already got a lot installed so would rather not install it unless it's a marked improvement on Firefox (normal version) ;)

Many thanks

alanrwood 18:51 14 Nov 2017

Yes I have installed it on 5 machines. On 3 of them it works fine but on 2 I have a problem that it keeps erroring that it can't find the url and on eBay for example it will not show the photos of the items I have ordered. It is not a problem with the profile as I have copied it from one that works to one that doesn't. The funny thing is that the machines that don't work are the two that I have done a clean reinstall of Win10 FCU.

AroundAgain 22:20 14 Nov 2017

Thanks, AlanWood It's very interesting that it works well on your machines that have upgraded rather than the 2 machines that you've done clean install on.

I hope these teething problems get fixed soon enough. I doubt I'll have time to install this browser for a few days so will be interesting to hear other opinions too.

Thanks very much

Forum Editor 22:51 14 Nov 2017

I have it installed on one machine at present. I haven't had time to carry out a full assessment yet, but my first impressions is that it's blindingly fast.

AroundAgain 23:05 14 Nov 2017

Hi FE

Wow, that certainly sounds encouraging :)

I'm hoping it still has the various features I use but I'll only know if I install it ;)

As I said to AR, I haven't the time to install it just now but, hopefully, in a few days, I'll be able to test it out

Thanks very much

Govan1x 00:00 15 Nov 2017

Just gave it a try and agree with our Forum Editor. Very fast, I dont like the colour of the Toolbar and task bar but I suppose I will get used to it.

So far so good.

mikef. 09:09 15 Nov 2017

Installed it yesterday, seems a lot quicker, but having to get used to the different lay out and had to find some alternative add ons, especially one for case changer which I use a lot when I forget to change my caps lock

difarn 11:36 15 Nov 2017

Yes. We have it on two Windows 7 PC's and it seems very fast. No problems so far.

AroundAgain 11:56 15 Nov 2017

Sounds good, thanks. At least you're not reporting lots of errors or problems ;) Thanks very much guys. I very much appreciate your opinions and confidence in it ;) Julie

Menzie 12:32 15 Nov 2017

Mine updated last night, very snappy. Some add-ons don't work but they will either update or alternatives will appear.

Pine Man 13:01 15 Nov 2017

I am using it on both my PC and Mac. Certainly seems faster on the PC but slower than Safari on the Mac.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Sword and Shield preview

The Best New Illustration and Graphic Design Talent from Brighton and Middlesex Universities

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros