Firefox Promise of Invisible Browsing

griffon56 11:52 29 Nov 2017
Answered

Hi All, Not really sure I've chosen the right section for this query, but here goes. Firefox has a setting which it says ensures invisible browsing. If this is true, how does it fit with the legal requirement for ISP's to record everywhere you go? Anybody?

Secret-Squirrel 19:03 29 Nov 2017

Firefox has a setting which it says ensures invisible browsing.

That's new to me. Do you perhaps mean private browsing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:36 30 Nov 2017
Answer

Private browsing just means your browsing history is not saved locally on your machine but of course its still saved by your ISP.

griffon56 15:21 30 Nov 2017

Thanks both, always reliable advice. I must look again because I suspect I've interpreted the Firefox statement wrongly, but I have had the impression that it says more than just not stored on the machine. I'll look again, thanks. I must say other experience makes your advice true wherein experts advise the use of VPN's. When I read a recent article on them I sort of thought why a VPN when Firefox promises anonymity, but now I know. Thanks again, regards, Rog

wee eddie 15:40 30 Nov 2017

Griffon, it's so that you can buy Christmas Presents without your Spouse, Children, finding out what you've been up to!

Govan1x 14:58 01 Dec 2017

New update for Firefox today for me, 57.01.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)