Finding and removing duplicated files safely

caris 23:41 16 Sep 2004

I am running Windows XP.

Recently I have noticed there seems to be squillions of duplicated files.

How can I safely identify and remove them please?

Bearing in mind I am easily put off deleting... just in case I do untold damage.

This is probably how I have so many duplicated files in the first place.

Thank you.

Regards ~ Caris

VoG II 23:57 16 Sep 2004

Are you sure that you are not seeing what we are click here

Squillions is "a very large number" - exactly how big?

Cook2 00:00 17 Sep 2004

If they are system files I would say leave well alone.

If you have duplicate personal pictures e.g one jpeg and the same bitmap or music files, you can delete one without worries.

I believe sometimes the system will call for one of the files and sometimes it's your installed software looking elsewhere.

If you check the size of the files you will see the majority are quite small.

Cook2 00:00 17 Sep 2004

If they are system files I would say leave well alone.

If you have duplicate personal pictures e.g one jpeg and the same bitmap or music files, you can delete one without worries.

I believe sometimes the system will call for one of the files and sometimes it's your installed software looking elsewhere.

If you check the size of the files you will see the majority are quite small.

caris 00:17 17 Sep 2004

VoG 'squillions' was a rather hazy estimate!

Cook2 will have a look at the size of these
files thanks.

I have tried to use NoClone which is supposed to be easy but the free version is limited. Also I am really apprehensive of what I am trying to do.

At one stage my XP Home Edition disc had to be replaced and I have a feeling that perhaps this is where a lot of the duplicated files lie.
Photo's etc I am happy to get rid of the duplicates and can also transfer them onto disc.

Would it be possible for me to have two lots of Operating System files?
The original XP I had down under my full name in the settings but the replacement (also new) system disc I had down as my first name only (to avoid confusion would you believe.)
And now I seem to have duplicates because of this.

Would I be safe in removing the original files that were set up in my full name? Or?

Am I making any sense here?

Is there a free or otherwise utilitie that could help me?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards ~ C

temp003 01:02 17 Sep 2004

Your reference to 2 sets of files under your "full name" and then under your "first name" under "settings" - do you mean you have a folder called C:\Documents and Settings\[full name], and then another called C:\Documents and Settings\[first name]?

If so, it suggests that you have 2 accounts, one called your [full name], another called your [first name].

If you don't need both accounts, just remove one of the accounts (say the older one with your full name). Then restart and go through the C:\Documents and Settings\[full name] folder to retrieve anything you still need, and save it outside that folder, then delete the folder.

You should not have 2 sets of Windows system files unless you're dual booting, which you're not. Most of the Windows files are in the C:\WINDOWS folder. If you only have one WINDOWS folder, leave it and its contents alone. Within that folder, certain important files are by design duplicated, as part of Windows File Protection. Just leave the WINDOWS folder alone.

caris 01:09 17 Sep 2004

tempo003

This is it exactly. I have wondered about this since the new XP disc was used to replace the faulty one.

So thank you for your advice here. Guess what I shall be doing over the weekend.

Thank you to all who have helped me here.

Regards ~ C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)