File Transfer failure

dave h 15:58 29 Aug 2008

Having had to wipe and re-install my XP, I took a copy of my files and settings, usin the file transfer wizard. I save the file to an 8GB USB Stick. having done this before, I expected no problems, but when I came to use the File Transfer to re-instal the data on the Cleadn Install, I got the following message -

"The Location that you specified does not contain stored information. please type a valid folder path into the edit box"

I checked the folder on the stick (Labelled USMT2.UNC) and found the files - IMG00001,dat, IM00002.dat and a Status file.
Both of the .dat files contain data, 2,097,129Kb and 607,335Kb respectively.

Does anyone have any Idea how I can recover the data from these files? I am particularly in need of recoverin the Address book.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ditch999 16:55 29 Aug 2008

Try using a different USB slot on the new PC and insert it slowly.

I would also try reading the files in a different PC and if it works copy them to it as a back up

dave h 19:15 29 Aug 2008

Thanks for that, Ditch999, I'Ve tried both of those things but had no luck.
I also copied the files on to the hard drive and tried to get the transfer wizard to pick them up there , but it didn't work.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

woodchip 19:19 29 Aug 2008

All the Programs have to be loaded that was on the computer before, and in the same location. As if not, where can it put the files

dave h 19:44 29 Aug 2008

Not quite sure I understand your reply, Woodchip.

I used the File transfer wizard to offload from the old computer, and to try to reload to the new computer.

As I said, it worked the last time I tried it some months back.

dave h 10:38 30 Aug 2008

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)