file system

  flaz1984 16:47 19 Aug 2003

hi, i was wondering if anyone kno's how to change the type of file system that my hard drive is, as i am currently using FAT, and would like to change that to NTFS so that i can have files which are bigger than 4gb.

i am using windows xp on my computer


  AndySD 16:54 19 Aug 2003

Go Start then All Programs then Accessories and click on command prompt. Type in

convert c: /fs:ntfs

and hit enter. (if C is the drive you want to convert)

  flaz1984 16:55 19 Aug 2003

will i lose all of the files that are on my pc?

  alcudia 16:59 19 Aug 2003

You must have XP Professional. if you have click Start\Run and type cmd and click ok. At the command prompt type CONVERT drive letter: /FS:NTFS You will probably get a series of messages telling you first that the drive is in use. Choose to convert at the next restart. You may get other messages relating to the volume etc. I usually say yes to all.
Hope all goes well. I have had minor problems with some apps after running this, but nothing major.

  .dave 16:59 19 Aug 2003

No, the convert process keeps everything intact

  AndySD 16:59 19 Aug 2003

No this kind of conversion keeps your files intact.

  alcudia 17:00 19 Aug 2003

Sorry AndySD, you were a bit quicker off the mark than me.

  flaz1984 17:04 19 Aug 2003

ive just typed that in, then it says " The type of file system is FAT32. Enter current volume label for drive C:"

what should i do next?

  .dave 17:16 19 Aug 2003

Type what you have called your C drive. If you haven't named it then leave it blank

  alcudia 08:21 20 Aug 2003

Sorry, by the time you posted your request I was on my way home. I did say you would get a message about the volume. .dave is right, but you could have just said yes and it would have worked. Hope all went ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sea of Thieves Review

Dell Canvas review: the cheap Wacom Cintiq alternative

How to use iMovie for Mac, tips and more

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?