File compresion software?

jake2 19:29 06 Jan 2006

Whats the best compresion software? Only one I've heard of is win zip. Can any be downloaded free?

Belatucadrus 19:38 06 Jan 2006

click here Zipcentral

click here Zipgenius

jake2 17:09 08 Jan 2006

Thanks for that. I downloaded Zip genius and I'm just finding my way around it.
One thing I did notice is that "my pictures" before using zip genius was 1.17gb After compression it was 1.14gb.
Is that normal? I dont know why but I thought I would gain more space than 0.03gb on that file.
I know that the "compress files to save space" option in windows has been checked. Does that mean that the windows compression software is doing a fairly good job and I'm not going to gain much from different software?

jake2 18:31 16 Jan 2006

Thanks Ben_uk I tried that but the "compressed folder" is missing from the drop down menu for some odd reason?
On a more embarassing note: I have just aquired about 10gb of memory! How?
Every time I used certain programs like registry cleaner or zip genius they created a restore point, which as you probably know (and didn't occur to me until today)requires a lot of memory. I also didn't delete the original files once I had zipped them, I know, I know
How stupid was that!
So I deleted a load of programs I hardly ever use & all the zipped versions of my music & my pictures etc and my free memory went from 6gb approx to 16gb!
A few lessons learned there then.
I still like to get the comressed folder option back if anyone knows how?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf