Fax connection

geedad 14:07 22 Mar 2004

Have Fax software - USB ( only ) printer - USB ( only ) scanner.
Windows XL, Pentium 4 all bells and whistles!
Ethernet card AND dial-up modem installed.
Software, on attempting to load shows ' Cannot locate Fax printer' . t therefore does not load into Fax mode.
Anybody had similar experiences ?
All replies gratefully received.
Geedad

beeuuem 14:13 22 Mar 2004

Which software are you using?

pj123 15:19 22 Mar 2004

Now I see. You cannot run fax without a modem. Broadband is digital, Fax is analogue. You need to install a modem in your computer to send and receive faxes. Most modem drivers include Supervoice which is what I use, but to receive faxes your computer must be switched on and Supervoice running. To get over this I use Supervoice for sending faxes only and I subscribe to Trinite (£24 a year) for incoming faxes. Incoming faxes come into my email inbox so I don't need my computer switched on. Trinite can be found at click here

The Kestrel 15:46 22 Mar 2004

If you have Windows XP as your OS, there is a fax program available. This is not loaded as default. You will need your OS CD disk to install it.Go to add/remove programs in control panel, click add/remove windows components and then tick Fax services box, instructions will follow.

geedad 21:46 23 Mar 2004

Also relates to 'Fax Software' in Forum.
Thanks, pj123. I was using a similar approach to receiving faxes on my previous computer, which had an enhanced card installed. I was using Supervoice to send, since this costs nothing in B/band to send. However, may I recommend a company called eFax.com for free receipt of faxes ( no yearly charge )and if you use this company, like I do, you will save £24 each year!
To The Kestrel.
Found the Fax software on the OS disk, works fine!
Many thanks to all!
geedad

Stuartli 09:43 24 Mar 2004

If you use Tiscali it has a free fax to e-mail service and provides you with a dedicated 0871-xxx-xxx fax number; Tiscali takes a small proportion of the sender's phone cost of sending the fax as its reward.

pj123 11:22 24 Mar 2004

geedad. Sorry this is after it's been ticked but I have been trying to sort out a problem of my own, (now sorted). Yes, I have tried the free fax to email services but they were so erratic that £2 a month for the amount of faxes I receive is a small price to pay for a good service.

To Stuartli, to take up the Tiscali offer they have to be your ISP as far as I can make out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?