faulty video card ?????????????

filthpig 13:33 19 Feb 2007

i have a small problem with my computer
i would like to find the fault ASAP for obvious reasons i think it might be the video card but im not sure my system is :
pentium 4 3ghz
ASUS P5 PE VM board
512mb radeon x1600 AGP
1024 mb ddr pc3200
160gb ide hard drive
i have set the theme to adjust for best performance in the properties of my computer but every time i turn the computer off it reverts back to the original theme of xp
this is not a major problem but if the video card is at fault i want to get it replaced
any advice would be great
thanks

silverous 13:43 19 Feb 2007

If you are saying the setting in Windows reverts back I think it is unlikely to be the video card. Sounds like an O/s - XP issue to me.

filthpig 12:23 20 Feb 2007

i have windows xp pro i will install this and see if i get the same problem
thanks for the advice

uesquebeathus 16:07 20 Feb 2007

do you have administrator user set , if not any changes will be ignored and put back to whatever you had before

filthpig 10:05 21 Feb 2007

am not sure about administrator i will check this today when i go home
thanks

filthpig 19:08 22 Feb 2007

i have installed windows xp pro and i still get the same problem, it must be a fault with the video card or the CPU or even the motherboard i am not sure though i thought it was a fault with my windows home edition but it cant be
any advice??????????

silverous 20:43 22 Feb 2007

Back to your original post, what do you mean by 'adjust for best performance' and 'theme' - they don't sound like windows terms, or graphics card terms unless they are specific to your graphics driver. Can you explain exactly where and what you set?

Technotiger 20:47 22 Feb 2007

"adjust etc ..." these are normal windows XP terms.

Technotiger 20:50 22 Feb 2007

PS - they can be found in My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings.

Technotiger 20:52 22 Feb 2007

Bearing in mind that within this Forum there are no such thing as 'silly questions' ...

did you remember to click Apply after making your settings?

silverous 22:28 22 Feb 2007

Techno - I'm aware of that window, it was the use of "theme" and "Graphics card" that threw me. My mistake. I don't think this is a graphics card issue, will wait to see your answer to Techno question before further suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)