Faulty RAM?

griffo 10:01 01 Aug 2005

We have 2 RAM modules which we suspected may have been faulty. As we needed to change the motherboard in the PC in question and the new MB is 184 pin, the old RAM won't fit anyway (168 pin).

I have put one 256MB module in an old Evesham Micros P11 and it seems to have increased the 'identified' RAM from 128MB to 224MB (?)

The other 256MB module was put into a Mesh PC which had 2 x 64MB modules in, with a third free slot. That PC is now showing 384MB of RAM in Control Panel/System.

Does this mean that both modules are OK or can a PC see RAM even if it's faulty?

dan11 10:18 01 Aug 2005

"I have put one 256MB module in an old Evesham Micros P11 and it seems to have increased the 'identified' RAM from 128MB to 224MB (?) "

That seems to indicate it has 32Mb on board graphics ( no graphics card ) 224Mb + 32Mb = 256MB. Or you have another memory module in and the onboard graphics has increased with the extra ram.

"The other 256MB module was put into a Mesh PC which had 2 x 64MB modules in, with a third free slot. That PC is now showing 384MB of RAM in Control Panel/System. "

That one is showing correctly.

"Does this mean that both modules are OK or can a PC see RAM even if it's faulty? "

It showing that the ram is seen, but it could be faulty. Because you have got the memory working in both machines, it may be worth running a memory test on both machines to see if there is any faults.

griffo 11:09 06 Aug 2005

sorry for the delay in replying.

I have left the existing module in the Evesham machine, so the increase reflects the addition of the 256MB module.

How do I run a memory test please?

dan11 13:01 06 Aug 2005

no problem.;-)

memtest is usually the one use. click here. but be aware, it does take long time.

there is a bit of a forum for memtest click here, if you wish to test the ram.

griffo 13:07 06 Aug 2005

thanks - very helpful, as always.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?