Faulty DVD Drive

Simmpy 13:29 12 Nov 2006

I have an Evesham computer with an internal Sony DVD CD drive. Whilst trying to burn some files from my hard disk to a DVD (Pinnacle Instant DVD software) everything locked. I couldn't open the drive to eject the DVD. The orange LED continually flashes.

I managed to manually extract the DVD and close down all the software. However on restarting the drive is still flashing and I still can't open it. I've tried all the troubleshooting but nothing works. The drive is 3 years old, has it just given up the ghost?

Thanks

Simmpy

Technotiger 13:54 12 Nov 2006

Hi, I think you will find that on the front of the drive is a small hole - the sole purpose of this hole is to enable the drive to be opened in an emergency, by using something like a straightened out paper-clip, which should be pushed gently into the hole to release the drive tray.

This is only a last resort - have you tried right-click on drive icon and then left-click on Eject from within My Computer?

Cheers.

Koochy 13:56 12 Nov 2006

You could try uninstalling the drivers for the drive then reboot your computer and XP should automatically detect the drive and reinstall the drivers.

Koochy

Koochy 13:57 12 Nov 2006

I am just presuming you have XP sorry.

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?